Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 1:24 pm    Post subject: Flares... Reply with quote

OK, I just took my Son's '93 YJ to the tire shop and had 3 new tires put on... two driving and one spare. Well, taking them off they find that one of the rims has a big chunck out of it on the backside and they cant get the lug nut off the other side and have to take torches to it. Well, to make a a long story short I drive out with 5 new 8" wide rims with all the tires, 32x11.5 14's and think I am good to go. Well, I take it down to the inspection station and the first one tells me the tires are too high so I go home and do some research. I go to the next station expecting to have them give me a hard time and they tell me they are too wide. Well, I go home and do more research and sure enough they are too wide for Massachusetts.

So, now I am looking at my flares and thinking its as simple as needing new ones but I am not sure what to get. Any suggestions? I guess I also need a hood latch, I thought the fact that it had a center latch like most cars was enough but I guess not in Massachusetts. But I drift, kinda like the steering on my Son's YJ after it was lifted. Any ideas on the flares? I thought about putting something behind them to bring them out but they are full length with a step and all so I am thinking new oversized ones are our best bet. Any pointers are appreciated.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i know in most states if your tires are wider than the factory body panels or flares you have to have some sort of covering to protect other vehicles from rocks and such so what i would suggest is measure your current flares then measure from where that flare ends to just past the width of the trie then you will know what size flare you currently have and how much bigger flares you will need... im not sure about mass but i know this will pass in many other states..good luck
Got Rev Limiter?
Got Rev Limiter?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The easiest way to get passed, is to throw on some smaller tires just for the inspection. After that put the bigger meats back on it! Then you don't have to worry about the flares. Where in MA are you located? If you are close to me, I'd be willing to let you use some inspection tires!
Underground Jeeps
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> YJ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: