Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

XJ rear brakes lock-up

View previous topic :: View next topic  
94jeepinginpa

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 8:47 am    Post subject: XJ rear brakes lock-up Reply with quote

Hello to all. I'm new to the forum. I'm having a problem with rear drum brakes on 1994 XJ. When braking a bit hard the rear drum brakes will lock up and skid. I recently replaced a bad master cylinder. XJ has ABS but not working. A friend mentioned it could be combination/proportioning valve. I figured to just replace it and see what happens, but I can't find a parts website that sells combination valves. Where can I get one?
Brad The Best

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dealership or autoparts parts store .

do you have leaky wheel cylinders or a leaky axle ? if so the oil will cause your breaks to grab and lock up .
94jeepinginpa

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks B the B. I'll hit the dealer; I visited several parts stores and none had it or could order it. RE wheel cylinders or axles, there are no leaks. The rear drum brake lock-up occurs mostly after disengaging the emergency brake.
Brad The Best

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

94jeepinginpa wrote:
Thanks B the B. I'll hit the dealer; I visited several parts stores and none had it or could order it. RE wheel cylinders or axles, there are no leaks. The rear drum brake lock-up occurs mostly after disengaging the emergency brake.

if it mostly locks up after you take the e-brake off then i would probably take the drums off disassemble the breaks and lubricate all the points and the star wheel adjuster , also check the e-brake cables .

it can't hurt , just use never seize to lubricate everything , and don't get any on the pads.

also a good time to see if they are worn out really bad . Smile

jsut simple things to do before changing the proportioning valve .or just change the valve , i duno im cheep so i rule everything out that i can do for free first . Smile
Orangeamc13
Got Rev Limiter?
Got Rev Limiter?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, definitely pull the drums and inspect. Could be a broken spring or like Brad said it might just need a good lubing.
94jeepinginpa

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you both B the B & O13. I'll pull the drums and inspect, clean & lubricate before I put out for the combo valve. Very Happy
jeeppro

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure you have the brakes adjusted up properly. this is an easy fix- dont overlook the easy stuff
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: