Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

AW4 trans problems

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jones

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 11:58 pm    Post subject: AW4 trans problems Reply with quote

I have a 96 Cherokee, I recently noticed it was skipping second and wouldn't go into fourth. I took it in and the tranny shop said they could get my by for $1000 plus parts. When I asked how much a rebuild was he laughed $2500 plus parts. I can take out and put in myself but when I am looking what should I be aware of some one said they are the same from 91 through 96. Is this right? any help would be greatly appreciated.
jeeppro

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes it is the same. these trannys almost NEVER go bad, so I would not be scared @ all to install a junkyard one. You can probably get one for $200, and they are not hard to install. I have done them , maybe takes 4 or 5 hrs. Good luck!
jones

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the help. So the only thing I need to worry about is its needs to be out of a 91 to 96. when I pull the tranny I am going to rebuilt the t-case is there any upgrades I should do there or is a stock rebuild okay
jeeppro

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stock should be fine- the are pretty tough.
Brad The Best

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if your crazy and you have a np231 i believe you can get a wider chain . up to you .
jones

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am very new to this whats the benifit of a wider chain
DavidXJ

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The wider chain can be purchased from JB Conversions http://www.jbconversions.com/. It simply replaces one of the week links in the NP 231, which is that the chain is a bit under rated for 35" plus tires. But if you are running 33" and under tires and haven't added a bunch of horsepower, the stock NP231 should be fine (but you should definitely use a Slip Yoke Eliminator if running a 4" or higher lift). I think a bunch of other stock parts would break before your stock NP231 chain (or other stock T-case parts for that matter).

But if you have the money, have beefed up axles and u-joints, are heavy on the right pedal, and want a NP231 that handle a lot of abuse yet is fairly lightweight, JB Conversions has a few different poducts to eliminate the weak links of the 231.
jeeppro

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Davidxj is right- unless you are very seriously wheeling your xj or have 35inch or bigger itres, you will be fine. Ive wheeled a lot of almost stock jeeps and they take a lot of abuse- you will be fine
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: