Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Flushing the radiator

View previous topic :: View next topic  
motownguy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 11:29 am    Post subject: Flushing the radiator Reply with quote

Hi,
I've got a 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0L engine. I know I have to change my antifreeze it's been over 50,000. miles. My problem is that I can't see the drain plug on the block, from the top it's too cluttered, and from the bottom, I can't find it. I've seen the diagram on this web-site and also the Haynes Repair book, it's the same. Can I just leave the block plug in and keep a garden hose running in my radiator while the engine is running to get the dame effect?
Thanks.
jeeppro

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

there is not a drain plug on the block- it is on the radiator on the drivers side @ the bottom. Good luck
motownguy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You mean there's no drain plug on the block itself as illustrated in the Haynes Repair manual? Now, I'm not talking about the petcock on the passenger side to drain. Wow! Unbelievable!
jeeppro

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm a jeep tech and have owned five xj's myself and have never seen a drain plug on the block. Youre not thinking of the freeze plugs are you? you should just drain it from the radiator, then fill it w/ water, run it one more time til it gets hot so the engine will get flushed, too. Then drain again and refil w/ coolant. Good luck!
motownguy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like your way. All I know is what I'm reading in the Haynes Repair manual Jeep Grand Cherokee 1993 thru 2004. I own a 2001. On page 1-27 it has a section on draining and flushing the radiator and it tells to drain the radiator and then remove the block drain plug. I tried to find it on my engine and could not see it from the top view and could not find it when I crawled under it. I asked if that if I just let water from a garden hose run into my radiator filler neck with the engine running and someone wrote saying that by doing that I could damange my water pump. I remember doing that with a 1975 Dodge Dart, but then again, that was in 1975. And to top it off, the Haynes Repair manual says to do a complete flush, I should remove my thermostate also, way too much work for me, I like your way better and will try it, thank you very much.
mj77724

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

under the # 2 and # 4 freez plugs there are square drive plugs remove them and the block will drain you can install peck cock style drains if you wish

thanks marlen
Orangeamc13
Got Rev Limiter?
Got Rev Limiter?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is definitely a drain plug on the I6! Both of my XJ's have them!
This is out of my XJ haynes manual.

This is out of my ZJ manual.

motownguy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the picture I have, looks good in the manual, with nothing else around it, trouble is I can't see it from the top or when I crawl under, maybe it needs to be on a hoist?
silvergoat

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you should be able to reach up and feel it. cant always see what your working on so use the force.
Brad The Best

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

motownguy wrote:
That's the picture I have, looks good in the manual, with nothing else around it, trouble is I can't see it from the top or when I crawl under, maybe it needs to be on a hoist?

you don't need a hoist for anything they just occasionally make things easier .

you could always buy a air evac kit , will suck out the old coolant create a vacuum in your cooling system and suck the new coolant in for you , the perfect amount with absolutely no air bubbles . honestly the ebst investment i ever made was that air evac kit . you get coolant in the engine in around 2 minutes and your done , plus there are no air pockets in the engine which you will get in your's that will never leave no matter how much you bleed it .

but thats just me
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Grand Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: