Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hitch

View previous topic :: View next topic  
orlimar105

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 5:31 am    Post subject: Hitch Reply with quote

Looking to buy a hitch and trailer so I can rent some garden landscaping equipment. Can anyone recommend a good brand? Are they self install, or do I need to take it to a garage? Many thanks.
Brad The Best

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hidden hitch , class IV or V . i think they are both weight distributing hitches . not that the jeep can haul anything that requires that .

can't help you on the trailer ,i just built my own .

http://www.hiddenhitch.com/
munky*

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have a class IV on my jeep and pulled a trailer with a gutter machine in it no problem
orlimar105

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. Are hitches generally self-install, and does one need electronics too?
Drake69

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hitches install on the frame rail of the Jeep, on both sides of the gas tank. As far as electronics go, it depends on the state. Minimally, you need brake lights, rear blinkers, running lights, and backup lights, so you'll need to wire them up. Also, depending on weight pulling limits in your state, you may also need to get a trailer that has electric brakes, but no extra wiring should be needed for that.

Three things not many think about when using a Jeep as a towing rig are the rear leaf springs, the gas tank, and the transmission. Since Jeep springs are usually softer than other SUVs, they tend to warp faster under loads. This means that not only will they sag when towing almost anything, they will wear out the pack quite fast. You should look into beefing them up, either by replacing them with S-10 or Comanche springs from a junkyard, buying a new leaf pack entirely, or add-a-leafs (least recommended, since they band-aid the problem, and you'll still have to contend with sagging). In addition, your gas tank is in a nice, vulnerable spot to be scraped against the ground with pulling, so throwing on an old factory skid plate from the junkyard will save your tank from abrasion (you can also buy stronger skid plates like from Skid Row or Tomken as well, but they cost more $$$). The third is the transmission system, which can overheat depending on how much towing you'll do in a year. If it's rare, maybe once every few months or so, it shouldn't be a problem. If it's more frequent, like once a month or more, consider installing a transmission cooler to keep the tranny from burning itself up.

Of course, ALL these suggestions are optional, but at the very least will help to increase the life of your Jeep. And each of these has a secondary purpose. Each modification benefits you in the trailing department if you intend to wheel your rig on occasion, so it's money well spent. And if you can get all your needed parts from the local boneyard (Mopar skid plate, S-10 leafs, aux tranny cooler from just about ANY truck, etc...), it ends up being even cheaper than buying all new parts.

Good luck!! thumbs

Brad The Best

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you may have to wire in trailer lights and electric brake's , unless your trailer has surge breaks . you may also want a modulator , for them .
1fox2go

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope your hitch has the studs, if not you have to fish the bolt in the frame rails, not hard just a pain
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: