Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

antifreeze to water ratio

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rbjeepster

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 8:57 pm    Post subject: antifreeze to water ratio Reply with quote

i live in northern california and the hottest it gets here is around 110 degrees in the summer and the coldest maybe 28 degrees in the winter. i just did a cooling conversion over to a 92 xj system with a 3 core radiator. i put 1 gallon of antifreeze and about 1 1/2 gallon of water but its running about 15-20 degrees hotter than before and before i had a 3 core radiator. would it make since that if i am running too much antifreeze that it could run hotter? i dont live where it gets super cold so could i have more water than antifreeze or wat

thanks
Drake69

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From another website:

Quote:

Why a rich mix gives less cooling:

First of all, in this article, we refer to the stuff you buy simply as “antifreeze.” It comes under many different trade names, and for automotive applications, is usually ethylene glycol. We'll just call it “antifreeze.”

Now if you've ever poured the stuff into a radiator, you no doubt observed that it is much “syrup-i-er” than water. That is, it has a much higher viscosity. This means that it will not flow as fast through the system as water, and the cooling effect will be less.

Further, the specific heat of antifreeze is less than that of water. This means that for a given temperature change, the antifreeze will carry less heat each time it circulates from engine to radiator and back.

So, if the mix is too rich, the cooling efficiency will be reduced because (1) the flow rate is less, and (2) less heat is transferred per cycle of the coolant.

The manufacturer's recommendation:

The standard recommendation is to use a 50/50 mix of antifreeze and water. This represents a compromise between cooling efficiency and the ability to prevent the mix from freezing during cold weather. After all, the initial purpose of antifreeze is to prevent freezing.

But a 50/50 mix does not give the best cooling. For improved cooling in hot weather, we should use less antifreeze and more water, perhaps going to a 25/75 or a 20/80 mix ratio.

Everyone knows antifreeze prevents corrosion, and corrosion is bad. True enough. But, even a 10/90 ratio of antifreeze to water will serve the purposes of inhibiting corrosion, at least according to one source of information.

Here is the link for the full article: http://www.challengers101.com/CoolantMix.html

Brad The Best

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

antifreeze also leaves behind deposits so corosion vs deposits , they both suck .

i run 50/50 because it gets -30 were i live .

i doubt its your antifreeze . what weight of cap did you put on the rad ? did you change the thermostat ? fans working? water pump work?

did you hook all your hoses up right ?
rbjeepster

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah my main fan is fine and i rigged my back up fan to a switch and my pump is brand new only a few months old im thinkin i have the wrong pressure cap the guy at napa gave me a 13 psi i think the 4.0 pressure is 16psi witch i just found out so im going to change caps and see wat that does

thanks
Orangeamc13
Got Rev Limiter?
Got Rev Limiter?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Distilled water is the way to go!!!
Brad The Best

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orangeamc13 wrote:
Distilled water is the way to go!!!

agreed , or premix

alot of parts stores give 13lbs caps for jeeps , i don't know why . 16lbs is right .
rbjeepster

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah they screwed up and just gave me a 13 cap so i took it back and got a 16 and it keeps it about 10 - 15 degrees cooler i still have a 195 thermostat im debating whether or not to swap to a 180 or a 175 but i guess the 4.0s are suposed to run at 205 -210 so im still thinkin about it i also picked up some water wetter but havnt poured it in yet
Orangeamc13
Got Rev Limiter?
Got Rev Limiter?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

205 - 210 is normal operating temperature! I wouldn't add any more water. 50/50 is the right ratio and you already put 1 1/2gal of water to 1gal coolant. If anything add more coolant!
mattbred

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orangeamc13 wrote:
205 - 210 is normal operating temperature! I wouldn't add any more water. 50/50 is the right ratio and you already put 1 1/2gal of water to 1gal coolant. If anything add more coolant!

Why?

Hell if anything add Water Wetter. Helps displace heat, AND prevents corrosion. (No it's not snake oil or a scam, it actually works. It's by Redline? I think. It's a very good coolant additive).

All antifreeze does is prevent corrosion and freezing. That's it. If water didn't corrode, people could use 100% water in the summertime as it would cool a LOT better.

Last edited by mattbred on Fri Aug 03, 2007 10:25 am; edited 1 time in total
mattbred

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rbjeepster wrote:
yeah they screwed up and just gave me a 13 cap so i took it back and got a 16 and it keeps it about 10 - 15 degrees cooler i still have a 195 thermostat im debating whether or not to swap to a 180 or a 175 but i guess the 4.0s are suposed to run at 205 -210 so im still thinkin about it i also picked up some water wetter but havnt poured it in yet

What year jeep do you have?

If it's 1987-1989 then I believe you can run a 180* thermostat (no less) with no repercussions. Many folks have with the RENIX controlled jeeps and they run good. I'll be switching over to a 180* one next coolant flush. However OBDI and OBDII jeeps might act finicky with it so I'd leave the 195* in them.

But yeah 205-210 is "normal" operating temperature for these jeeps, even though it seems high.
Orangeamc13
Got Rev Limiter?
Got Rev Limiter?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mattbred wrote:
All antifreeze does is prevent corrosion and freezing. That's it.

What about raising the boiling point of the water, as well as lubricating seals and water pumps and it keeps engine temperatures stable under all climate extremes and driving conditions. Sure water transfers heat better than coolant, but were not talking racecars.
rbjeepster

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have a 1990 but i did a conversion over to a 1992 cooling system just so i dont have to deal with that pressure bottle. i ran it today with the A/C in about 100 degree whether it was fine cruzin but after a while in stop and go it passed the 210 mark and got to maybe 220 i think i might flush the block and head an dput a 180 thermostat in it this week

thanks guys
Brad The Best

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orangeamc13 wrote:

What about raising the boiling point of the water, as well as lubricating seals and water pumps and it keeps engine temperatures stable under all climate extremes and driving conditions. Sure water transfers heat better than coolant, but were not talking race cars.

burn .
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: