Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Wobble at 55 mph

View previous topic :: View next topic  
monkeyman3875

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 12:52 pm    Post subject: Wobble at 55 mph Reply with quote

Hey guys, I need some help, and I need it by the weekend.

After doing a tire rotation 2 weeks ago, I have a pronounced wobble in the front end of my XJ between 55-60 mph. I've always had a very slight, almost un-noticable wobble, but after my tire rotation it got worse. On either side of that speed range, I have no problems at all. Before I began looking at the suspension I re-aligned the front end, and the wobble didn't get any better. I have three logical theories and I need someone to tell me if I'm right or wrong for each, and any other theories that are out there.

1. Tires, because it all started after the rotation and the newly placed front tires are worn from side to side. I just checked inflation and they were a little high. I adjusted them and I'll let you know if that helps.

2. Tie Rod End, because I've had to replace one already and it would be just my luck if I broke another one. It also feels like there's some play in the steering wheel before the car starts to turn from one direction to the other and the car seems to "float" down the highway (doesn't pull like an alignment problem, but likes to move back and forth across the lane). I replaced the driver side TRE 6 months ago, but I haven't checked any other ball/socket, or heim joints since then.

3. Track Bar, because when I hit a ditch/sunken manhole on one side, it feels like the axel shifts under the car and then the car catches up. It doesn't shift much and it could just be my imagination, but I'm trying to think of anything.

Please let me know if these theories check out, or if there are any more that I haven't thought of. For all theories, both in this post, and from others, I need to know how to check them so I can diagnose this problem.

Also, what else should I be looking at with +112k on the car.

Please let me know soon. If I can't get this solved within the next couple weeks I'll have to take it to a garage (and I don't have that kind of time/convenience/money. Thanks for the responses.
-130k Miles (and counting)-> let me know of any preventative maintenance you guys can think of. PM me.
Orangeamc13
Got Rev Limiter?
Got Rev Limiter?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your tires may need to be rebalanced. I would swap my tires back and if the problem still exists it's not the tires. If it goes away, then get them rebalanced. It's cheap and worth a try.
dixoy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What tires are you using monkeyman3875? I also experienced this about a week ago with my old Falken Tire.. Bought a new pair for the front and I had my wheel balanced and its now working perfect for me! Finger rofl Finger
monkeyman3875

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right now I have Michilin LTX A/T (i think). I just rotated the tires back and I'll see if that helps at all. I took a look at the tires and I see a weight on each tire, but it looks like there are some spots that either had, or could have had a weight on them. I'm thinking if the wobble's gone, then it's in the tires. If it's still there, it's in the suspension.

Thanks for the ideas
-130k Miles (and counting)-> let me know of any preventative maintenance you guys can think of. PM me.
Maxximmillian

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure a rim isn't bent too. If you thought you felt a slight wobble before and when you rotated the tires to the front in got worse, then a bent rim may have been rotated to the front where it would be more noticeable. You also might want to try looking at the inner and outer tie rod ends as well as your steering components. The track-bar too. Just some thoughts.
monkeyman3875

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since the re-rotation I haven't noticed the wobble, and if all goes according to plan I'll have new rims and tires within the month so if it's a bent rim it'll be in the past. I've also checked out the front suspension and it all looks okay (though there's no telling for sure). We'll see what happens.
kar1179

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you get the "floating" problem fixed? Mine is doing the same and I don't know the cause.
monkeyman3875

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yep, the new wheels and tires cured the problem.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Suspension, Steering & Tires All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: