Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

getting axles to correct widths

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BamBam

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 9:37 am    Post subject: getting axles to correct widths Reply with quote

over the past few months i have aquired 3 free axles: a stock XJ HP30 with 3.54 gears, a stock XJ 8.25 with 3.54 gears and 27 spline, and a stock Ford Bronco 9" 31 spline with 3.50 gearing.

since these were all free id like to upgrade from my TJs LP30 with 3.07s and D35 with 3.07s. im running 3" lift with 35s. i have a buddy that will weld on the TJ brackets for me. its just a matter of time before my D35 shatters, and the gearing is awful.
i know that the HP30 will be a direct bolt on and is stronger and geared abit better than my current LP30. AND i would really like to make use of the big bearing 9", but its 64.5" wms-wms. could i use wheel spacers/adapters in the front to make up the difference in width and to match the 5x5.5 pattern?? or is this a bad idea?
i suppose i could also upgrade the 8.25 with Dutchman shafts and put in the TJ brackets. suggestions??
i currently dont have the $$ to pay for a HP44 and its conversion to the TJ set up right now.
any direction, thoughts, comments would be appreciated.
thanks
bambam
ehirner

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have the 9" shortened by somebody who knows what they're doing. (I don't...and don't really know anyone near you that does either.) What I'd do is ask around at the local 4x4 shops and see who they would recommend.

I wouldn't run spacers on the front big enough to make the 2 axles equal in width. That's 2 1/4" on each side...equates to running wheels with that much less backspacing. For demonstration purposes, the stock 15x8 alloys have 5.5" backspacing...with these spacers, it would be like running wheels with 3.25". Not too bad, but horrible if you have to keep the tires under the flares like we do in PA.

I also wouldn't bother trying to run the 3.54s in the HP30 either. I can't believe you're still rolling around on 3.07s with 35s....I wouldn't even start swapping gears to 3.54. Jump right to 4.56s, minimum, unless you've got the auto, then 4.10s minimum.

Also, are you sure the 9" is the beefier 9"? I'm pretty sure there are some 28 spline versions out there. I don't know the prospects of upgrading from 28 to 31 splines, if that's what you've got. But I'd investigate to make sure before jumping in to it. In addition, if I remember correctly, the LP9 is fairly low pinion.

I'd seriously think about a SYE and CV shaft if you don't already have one. And whatever you do go with in the rear, my suggestion is to have the pinion angle set using the brackets as much as possible. Then you only have to tweak it with adjustable arms to get the angle perfect.
Tx Outlaw

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For some reason I thought the track on a TJ was somewhere in the 62.5 range. Confused If so, this would only put the spacers at 1" per side. With the rear being 5 on 5.5, you could always install the Warn 5 on 5.5 hub conversion on the front axle (HP30) and pretty much be set. The hub conversion also spaces the wheels out approx 3/4" on each side.

Chuck
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am in the same quandry.. I have a full width 44 rear. and I cant decide whether to change out my HP 30 to a full width 44 also . Or do I keep it and space it to match the rear..
I have put off installing till I make up my mind..
Dont really want to spend the money to shorten the axles so its spacer of fullwidth up front for me..

No problem with fender flares here in Louisiana... Wink

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
ehirner

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tx Outlaw wrote:
For some reason I thought the track on a TJ was somewhere in the 62.5 range. Confused If so, this would only put the spacers at 1" per side. With the rear being 5 on 5.5, you could always install the Warn 5 on 5.5 hub conversion on the front axle (HP30) and pretty much be set. The hub conversion also spaces the wheels out approx 3/4" on each side.

TJ axles are 60" WMS to WMS from my "research". That's one of the reasons the Exploder 8.8 makes a great swap...it's 59.25" WMS to WMS, making it only 3/4" shorter.
BamBam

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2004 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the responses!Smile

i think im going to go the Ford HP44 full width(~67") route in the front. and the 9" rear at full widths(~65"). Staying with TJ coils. i realize that the initial cost will be a bit more expensive but i dont see myself having to 'change', notice i didnt say repair or replace:), this set up for along time.
i also will have to save up some additional funds.

now to find that HP44 Mr. Green Twisted Evil
BamBam

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2004 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

can someone send me a link or provide info reguarding radius arms...esp their application to the TJ.
i have searched the web and other sites.

im not sure weather to keep or cut off the radius arms to place TJ set up. this is going to be the variable in searching for the front HP44. ive seen that there are specific years to stay away from.

comments please.
bambam
Tx Outlaw

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2004 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd stay away from the radius arms as you'd have to get the correct bushings for the caster and they tend to "pop" out when you don't want them to.

Chuck
BamBam

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chuck
what do you mean 'pop out'???

thanks[/code]
Tx Outlaw

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've actually seen a couple of Fords flexing really well on the trail and then seeing the c-bushing (between the radius arm and axle) pop out of its place. Not horrible, but not good either

Chuck
BamBam

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ah...that wouldnt be good.

do you know if they had johnny joints used in combo with the radius arms? i've been reading a bit about this set up. any ideas?

thanks
ehirner

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BamBam wrote:
ah...that wouldnt be good.

do you know if they had johnny joints used in combo with the radius arms? i've been reading a bit about this set up. any ideas?

thanks

Probably no Johnny Joints...on a Ford setup, the radius arm isn't like what I believe you're thinking of...i.e. Rubicon Express front radius arms on the LA kit. Basicly, the Ford radius arms clamp on to the axle.... like this...

<O>-----------

...where the "O" is the axle. My dad has a 78 F150 with this setup. I can see those bushings popping out easily if flexed right.
BamBam

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmmm...will have to go to the mall and squat under a few Ford Tks.Smile
ehirner

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BamBam wrote:
hmmm...will have to go to the mall and squat under a few Ford Tks.Smile

Check out the late 70s, maybe early 80s ones. Somewhere around the mid to late 80s I think they switched to the twin traction beam design on the F-150s.
Tx Outlaw

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought he was talking about adding a Johnny Joint to the frame mount end. If that's the case, it may help out some.

Chuck
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Drivetrain All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: