Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Getting Rid of the Death Wobble

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Suburbia4X4

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 10:11 pm    Post subject: Getting Rid of the Death Wobble Reply with quote

OK. so i lifted my zj with a rustys 3" kit, added shocks, rustys steering conversion, and rustys adj. Track bar, and im still getting the death wobble on the highway whenever i hit a bump. I feel like im running out of options because ive been dealing with the damn wobble for 2 months now. luckily i dont need to drive far for work or anything. but im planning a road trip in may and i need my steering to be legit and i need the death wobble to stop. What can i do to fix this horrible beast of a thing?
Orangeamc13
Got Rev Limiter?
Got Rev Limiter?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How are the tires, maybe they need a rebalancing?
Suburbia4X4

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah the tires are balanced, i put them on the stock wheels when i was doing the lift and that was 2 weeks ago. so maybe they are off balance again? idk if it would be a noticeable difference but ill look into it. im still curious as to what else could be wrong however so any other ideas are welcome.
Thanks! Mr. Green
Colinm

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you lift it yourself or did you have a shop do it? I lifted my 83 bronco 6" by myself a few years back Twisted Evil and needed a front end alignmnet something fierce. I would presume a shop would do so automatically. Just checking to see if that was done.
Suburbia4X4

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah an alignment is one option im considering. i did put the lift on myself and i did get an alignment after the lift was on, but due to some disassembly problems i couldnt reinstall the stabilizer and i didnt have the adjustable track bar installed because i didnt know i needed it yet. now that the other parts are on i know its an option, but because the steering is aftermarket as well as the track bar, im not sure how well a local shop would be able to do an alignment. I did talk to a local jeep shop (burnsville offroad) and they dont do alignments at their location so im kinda stuck with the shop who kinda knows what they are doing or i could end up just leaving it. so idk, i just want to get as much input on it as i can. Thanks for the ideas though and please keep them coming! i really appreciate all the help i can get on this one. so really guys, thanks alot!
Brad The Best

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

uhm take it to an alignment shop you can get it drivable they can make it actually work .
Colinm

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As long as the parts you put on will allow the steering linkage to align up properly, any tire company should be able to align it. All they do is hook up two reflective discs to the front wheels and two to the back. At the front of the unit is a machine that pings light/lasers off the discs and determines how much the camber/casper and toe in/out is off. Then its just a matter of how many degrees the different orientations are adjusted. how high the vehicle is shouldn't matter. The only thing that matters is that the wheels can move into the proper position.
Your best bet is to take it to some rather large and popular tire place that sells their own lift kits and installs them. Up here in washington that place is Les Schwab. Not sure where you are.

Cheers and good luck!
topsideroyal

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i had the same exect provblem as you, if i went over 45 mph my whole jeep would shake, it ended up being just a couple loose bolts and that took care of some of it then i went and put on a steering dampener and that fixed the rest of the wobble. good luck i know how much it sucks i delt with the death wobble for about 3 months.
Suburbia4X4

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah man it is not fun at all to have your truck start breakdancing on the highway. Fortunately however i believe i can fix it, i noticed that my axle isnt centered under the body which is odd because it was when i installed the track bar but then it wobbled and now its not centered. so ill check out my track bar and give the joint a few spins in the right direction. hopefully that will heal away the wobble. i am curious though, would dropping a few bills on new adjustable lower control arms help the problem or just give me a better setup then with stock?i know the rear axle is way foreward in the wheel well cuz of the short arms but that isnt really an issue at all cuz its in the back and i dont have any places where i need that much articulation back there. would new lower adjustable arms fix that for the rear to center it again? or would i need both uppers and lowers?

once again, thanks for all the info guys. Its greatly appreciated. Razz
Orangeamc13
Got Rev Limiter?
Got Rev Limiter?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adjustable LCA's will help to center the axle without changing the uppers.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Grand Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: