Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A interesting delima envolving a dead Cherokee

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bgnome

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 7:57 pm    Post subject: A interesting delima envolving a dead Cherokee Reply with quote

So here is my situation.. the roomate of the guy who lives in the apartment above me decided that He didn't want to live in Richmond any more and went back to L.A. ( I love Louisiana Very Happy ) and in the process abandoned his 1999 Jeep Cherokee in the parking spot directly behind my apartment..

the vehicle is dead.. but not yet beyond repair I think.
according to the stories.. they dude tried to change his oil.. forgot to put more oil, or not enough oil back in the crank case. and ended up blowing his head gasket..
the negative battery terminal is also busted.. but.. whatever.. I hooked my 3-1 break out box and managed to bring the electrical system back to life..
and everything seemed to fire up just fine..

dude left everything here.. including the title to the vehicle!

except.. he didn't leave the Keys..

and the thing is just sitting back there rotting and making my building look like some cheap frat flop house..

essentially.. I'm done

I'd like to know how to pop the thing into neutral to dump it in the ally and call the cops.. or offer it out to any one in the metro Richmond VA area to get it out of here for parts..

as I'm writing this.. I'm also informing my property managers of the situation as well.. so hopefully I can get this resolved by the end of the week..

long story short.. if anyone wants a free parts jeep... hit the Email in my profile. or shoot me a PM.. and I'll tell you where it is..

the race is on

and I can provide pictures of its festering glory if requested
jeeppro

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 7:37 am    Post subject: dead cherokee Reply with quote

I beg to differ- There is NO SUCH THING as a dead jeep! However, if you are done w/ it you can put it in neutral by loosening the shifter cable from the tranny w/ a 15 mm wrench and turning it to neutral w/ visegrips or pliers. Or, you could pick the lock cylinder and turn it, If you know how to pick locks its easy, bu tyou obviously dont or you would not have posted this. good luck!
Duncan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd keep it... Grab an engine from a junk yard and you have a perfectly good '91 with a (probably) newer engine...

If nothing else you can sell it for more than you put into it... A little extra money never hurt anyone Smile
bgnome

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: dead cherokee Reply with quote

jeeppro wrote:
I beg to differ- There is NO SUCH THING as a dead jeep! However, if you are done w/ it you can put it in neutral by loosening the shifter cable from the tranny w/ a 15 mm wrench and turning it to neutral w/ visegrips or pliers. Or, you could pick the lock cylinder and turn it, If you know how to pick locks its easy, bu tyou obviously dont or you would not have posted this. good luck!

sorry folks, would've responded faster but the cable company was insistent that I pay the inter-tube bill first....

So, the roommate assured me that picking the lock thing could be accomplished with a butter knife on this car.. the steering lock is already busted, so the theory is sound. however.. practice has proven otherwise.
so I decided to go the mechanicals route.. I found y'all googling for just this information. where else to find the most reliable information on where to find the bits, then from a bunch of jeep enthusiasts?

and yer right.. old jeeps don't die... they just fade away
and thats why I'd rather see a hobbiest get their hot little hands on the thing before hitting Craigslist.

as for me taking it on my self? while tempting, I'm a known dumpster diver/Curber and notorious adaptave re-user.. (read: cheap)

this jeep is just not a project I can , or want, to take on at this point, 5 years ago, or 5 years from now? sure!.. .but not right now.

I'm also a city boy, living and working in an urban environment, and I believe you have no buisness owning a dog if you don't have room for it to run.

and besides.. I'm currently enjoying the "cop effect" I get from driving a enormous stark white crown Victoria..

here are some snapshots of the jeep:

interior, with assorted scattered paperwork..

the broken battery terminal.. easy

thing is.. the problems described to me.. were described to me by morons that apparently don't understand the concept of the eternal combustion engine.. when the guy killed the car.. his immediate reaction was to call up his Louisiana big wig lawyer father, who then flew up, and bought his son a new jeep..
now the idiot that replaced him... my word, this kid ain't right.. for sheer comedy I need to take a picture of HIS car.

but now I'm rambling. carry on
1fox2go

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so you are trying to give this away? If so I am VERY interseted
Alekre

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh my Good... First in my life a i read that someone want to give ''Jeep''.
Hey, i don't have any car, but love Jeep. Sooo, give to me and wil back mashinery on the road and off road Smile Smile Smile
bgnome

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

as much as I would love to send this vehicle off to ya in Serbia.. I think the logistics of getting it over there would be a little overly complicated..
now I know I sent Pro up there the same pics that are on the board now..

fox.. is also showing intrest..

I assure you folks.. this is a legitimate offer.. the vehicle is real, and sitting right outside my back door. and all you need to do to get it.. is get it the hell out of here..
the vehicle is located in town, in Richmond, Virginia.. in the same neighborhood as the Art Museum.. we call it the devils triangle..

the only thing I can see beng odd for y'all is that I'm the weekend guy at the brewery, so my day's off to greet and hand off are monday's and tuesdays..
I understand most of the world works mon-fri.

did I mention I'm a brewer? I tend to have a mess of beer hanging around the place as well..

free jeep..
free beer..

we're starting to run out of ways to make this anymore awesome-er aint we?

in any case.. whoever wants it can drop me an E-mail and we'll flesh out the details..
1fox2go

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im working with a friend who lives in richmond to pick it up for me
Teriod

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

im sure you guys will take the appropriate legal avenues, check into what it take to lien sale this car and do a title check on it, it seems like a jeep in that fair of condition might have problems attached, like belonging to a finance company, stolen etc. im sure bgnome is a good person, some times things are too good to be true
bgnome

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1fox2go wrote:
Im working with a friend who lives in richmond to pick it up for me

nice..

I can tell by the pic in your thread that this vehicle will be just right for you..

quick question..

this car is a four door.. and the side badge says Grand Cherokee..

so, there's such a thing as a Cherokee sport?

so.. is that a two door?

in any case..

this thing just doesn't speak to me as my idea of what a jeep should be in my mind.. I meen.. really .. all these power things all over the place.. those could very well be leather seats.. I think automatic four wheel drive shifting..

hell! it has an automatic transmission!

my idea of driving a jeep does not include this variable lap of luxury!

but I'm sure this discussion is better for some form dedicated the zen of offroading..
bgnome

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teriod wrote:
im sure you guys will take the appropriate legal avenues, check into what it take to lien sale this car and do a title check on it, it seems like a jeep in that fair of condition might have problems attached, like belonging to a finance company, stolen etc. im sure bgnome is a good person, some times things are too good to be true

that's mostly the part of wh I'm not asking any money for it..

I really don't want any of this rigamorole..
I was told that I could dispose of it in any manner I see fit.. I was givien information about popping the lock.
I have also informed the property managers of the building and the owner of the building about the abandoned vehicle..

the owner left for parts unknown in a brand new jeep and left the tittle in the passenger seat. in fact.. I believe most, or not all of the financing information is there in the passenger seat along with the title..

I just rummaged thru it all.. figured out what I needed to know.. and tossed it all back in.. my wife the paralegal student, thinks that everything is there..

I can go out there and scan in the documents that were left in it for any satisfaction.

my deal is.. is that the dude moved out and abandoned his broken down car in the process..
the legal stuff.. is a issue.. and all I can say is.. I have no idea how my land lord does it.. but if you want to deal with it.. more power to you..

like I said earlier.. I found this site looking for information on how to pop the thing into neutral so I can push it in the ally, to call the cops, to tow it out of here..
I figured, If I found a forum full of jeep enthusiasts I'd ask them how to do it.. and hell.. while I'm at it.. ask any of them if they'd like to have first crack at it before I push it in the ally...

this thing will get towed to god knows where eventually..

the ghetto palms are trying to take it over allready for petes sake.

my offer to come pick it up is based soley in the person who would pick it up to deal with the issues that may come up with picking up a random abandoned vehicle.. acting on a hint that there is a random abandonded vehicle..

once you chain it up and pull it out of here.. it is YOUR problem..

I suppose I could call in the plates as an abandond vehicle..

for those keeping track.. and would like to look it up themself..

there is a plate and it is a Louisiana plate HQG 829
I see a registration sticker of 07, but no month
VIN on the dashboard is:
1J4GW68N7XCS44627
do with what you will with that information.. I will work in any way to provide whatever info I can rustle up from the car..

Like I said.. I offer it for parts, only.. no cash.. no signing of anything.. the person who picks it up assumes whatever for whatever..

I just want someone to get this damn thing out of here
Drake69

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Fox, I don't really have access to a trailer down here, so if you want we can try and work something out to get it either towed (no keys, so hard to drop in neutral) or trailered somehow. Let me know how we want to approach this.

And I agree on the legality issues as well. We'll have to check on that (no title).

bgnome

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drake69 wrote:

And I agree on the legality issues as well. We'll have to check on that (no title).

the title, straight, un modified.. sorry about the size.

I know theres an issue of signing it over..

the next stapled page....

once again.. sorry about the size, I just scanned, posted, and pasted.. no altering what so ever. these are samples of the paperwork just thrown into the car
Im offering full disaclosure on what ever information I can provide from this hulk
Teriod

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

most vehicles have a shift release machanism for this sort of situation, if you cannot find one on or about the shift tower then look underneath where the shift linkage hooks to the shift lever coming out of the transmission, most of the time they are connected with a plastic bushing that can be popped off, be damn sure the vehicle cant roll before engaging the transmission into neutral(neutral being the second click of the lever)

if you have access to a floor jack- use this to help you steer, but with steering punched you should be able to turn the wheels

if you dont have any luck here there are other forums try jeeps-offroad.com

if i lived closer i would be happy to relieve you of the jeep and your beer Very Happy Very Happy

ill post it up for you in other forums

good luck bgnome
Brad The Best

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you don't mean richmond b.c do you ? if so i will take tomorrow off work and get a uhaul trailer and get it .
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: