Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

5th gear started making loud noise today

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Butler2YJ

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 3:54 pm    Post subject: 5th gear started making loud noise today Reply with quote

I have a 95 4cyl stock YJ--except for 30" tires--w/130,000 as of today. As it rolled over 130K today I shifted into 5th and 5th gear started making a loud chattering noise--at any RPM. The other gears are fine. Sure enough, continued shifting into 5th, at any speed or RPM will bring about this noise. Any ideas? Thanks.
qkslvr_95yj

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

did you change/flush trans fluid recently?
Butler2YJ

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 6:56 pm    Post subject: Did you change your transmission fluid recently? Reply with quote

No, I didn't. Being a manual tranny, it has gear oil. The loud fifth gear symptom was just spontaneous. I've had the YJ since new in April 1995.
qkslvr_95yj

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

its supposed to be 30w oil.
if you've got 80w90 gear oil in there, then there could be some serious lubrication problems, especially 5th gear.
regardless, if it hasn't been changed or even topped off, it NEEDS to done, especially with 130k miles.

beware the Haynes manual. they say the transmission gets 75w90 or 80w90. that fluid is too thick to reach effectively lubricate the entire transmission specifically the position/size of 5th gear. the gear itself will go last, but teh syncros and bearings and racers break down.

i've spent a few house on the phone with various mechanics, service managers etc. to get this straightened out.

dealers have to recommend a Mopar fluid, but they and dealer mechanics and indendent mechanics recommend 30w, it being the same as the mopar fluid, just less costly.

i'm not a mechanic nor claim to be, but this is my advice from experience in doing a lot of my own service work.
Butler2YJ

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 1:18 am    Post subject: getting tranny flushed/topped off Reply with quote

What you say makes eminent good sense. 5th gear shifts and drives just fine, but makes the loud chattering noise--I mean loud. It sounds dry--as if there is no lubricant inside the transmission. I'll get the transmission flushed. (Actually, I had service recently. I'll check to see if the mechanic flushed the transmission--in which case maybe there is inadequate fluid level inside the transmission.) In any event, I'll see if fluid/level clears things up before having the transmission cracked open. Thanks for the advice--especially about 30W.
jeep1399

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the Same problem with my 92 driven around town. What happened to mine is Two teeth on the fifth gear Broke. Hopefully thats not it.
Chris
Butler2YJ

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 8:24 am    Post subject: re: 5th gear making loud noise... Reply with quote

Thanks for your advice. I hope it's not broken gear teeth. Could be, though. I have been limping along in four gears for three weeks--just around town--waiting to get some time to leave it at the mechanic's.

I tried to check the fluid level in the tranny the other day, but don't have the right socket wrench--it requires one of those torx jobs, it looks like.

Anyone know which size, etc., is required for the tranny and for the transfer case?
Butler2YJ

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 9:35 am    Post subject: 5th gear started making loud noise today Reply with quote

By the way, was the broken teeth problem an expensive fix?
jeep1399

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was around two hundred. But it was a friend of the family and I helped the entire time to learn. But check the fluid first, and then take it by the shop. Good Luck
Butler2YJ

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 10:52 am    Post subject: re: cost of fix, if broken teeth on 5th gear... Reply with quote

Thanks for the information. I'm going to probably flush the transmission and refill it this weekend to see if it still makes the noise. If it does, I'll look into the possibility of a broken tooth on the fifth gear.

I put it in 5th at a very low speed and the noise, then, is a very slow, rhythmic metallic "tink." Of course, at higher speeds this speeds up and becomes a "clank." To my ear, that could _very well_ be a broken gear tooth, now that you mention it. Nothing sounds abnormal until that "tink" comes around--or "clank," if the engine is under more power at higher speeds and is torqueing the drivetrain harder.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> YJ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: