Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is it my driving?!

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Duncan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 6:27 am    Post subject: Is it my driving?! Reply with quote

I go offroading alot in my (soon to be not) stocker with regular "all terrian" (as if...) tires... I have gone through like 5 in 2 months... Is it something about how I am driving or should I just expect the lifespan to be as crappy as the performance?

I mean the jeep itself is unbelievably rugged (especially funny cause its a ZJ so it LOOKS like it should be driving around town with a socer mom at the wheel and instead its desending a rock covered, near vertical incline) but it seems like I have a flat every 5 minutes... I finally got a hi-lift jack and I have to say BEST TOOL EVER! I took the stock bumpers off so I could jack it and so I would have a better approach angle (departure angle is not helped cause its got a trailer hitch anyway... But that serves as a great skid plate so it stays).

BTW: I don't usually go faster then 15 on trails and much slower on the rough stuff...
badger

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

could be anything from were you drive being full of nails,glass,metal shards to the type of tire you are buying .might be some cheap crappy retread.we would really need more information to give you a better answer.

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Duncan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm... The tires I but are from the junk yard... Typically they include the wheel as well because I just buy one as a spare and then use it as a primary and buy another a s a spare... But I doubt they are retreads... Though some of them may be a tad worn none are to bad.

The areas I drive don't SEEM have a lot of artificial tire slicers... Just sharp rocks and stuff.
tonloco

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you need to bite the bullet and buy some new (as in not from the junkyard which are probably dryrotted) tires preferably that are true all terrains which are thincker in build

when you are getting flats are you air down too much and hence forth the tire popping of the bead or you actually cutting the tire?
Duncan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah... I know I am just biding my time cause I will be buying 35s, a ford 8.8, a dana 30 HP and a Clayton offroad 7in long-arm kit this winter so I don't wanna get "real" tires until then...

Nah... I am actually "cutting" them... Most of the time it seems to be from rocks and/or logs (there are lots of atv trails here and ZJs don't turn on a dime) hitting the sidewall... I air down to like 22psi... Should I go lower maybe? (I was not sure of that was ok given that I was just using regular tires).
Keithtj
ARLI$$
ARLI$$

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depending on the size tire and rim, you could more than likely air down to 15 psi. I normally air down to 12 psi and I'm fine.

My Morning Jacket
Duncan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will take them down to 15 from now on and see if that improves my luck and my capabilities... Thanks.
1fox2go

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you could buy some 31 off road type tires, IE bfg, interco/swamper and then resell them later
Duncan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Possibly... I may even know someone who would buy them... Good idea.
1fox2go

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.mallcrawlin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13392
1fox2go

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh and found this too i bet if you offered the guy 800 for both the lift wheels and tires he may just let you have it

http://www.mallcrawlin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13391

even if you spend 1000 bucks in 3.5 inches plus wheels and tires thats a hella deal to get started
Duncan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hell yeah it is... I will see if have the money and make him an offer... Thanks.
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should not lift from the bumpers (If I understood correctly )

Build or buy yourself some rock sliders They will pay for them selves 50 times over .. They will protect your rocker panels when in the woods and give you a good place to jack from when you need it..

They are pretty easy to build if you can weld and they cost around $200 if you want to buy them..

Back on topic.. Sounds like you need thicker sidewalls or as was suggested air down to make the sidewalls flex more and possibly save them..

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Duncan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Building rock sliders in definitely on my "to do" list... I can't weld but we have a MIG welder with argon shield gas here at work and a couple people have said they could teach me how to use it... Though I will probably still take it to the shop to have them put on the unibody (I am scared of welding to it.. LOL).

Yeah... I am gonna air down further from now on... Also soon I hope to have different tires.
5.9 andy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Duncan wrote:
Building rock sliders in definitely on my "to do" list... I can't weld but we have a MIG welder with argon shield gas here at work and a couple people have said they could teach me how to use it... Though I will probably still take it to the shop to have them put on the unibody (I am scared of welding to it.. LOL).

Yeah... I am gonna air down further from now on... Also soon I hope to have different tires.

you dont weld sliders to the unibody, u bolt em to it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Suspension, Steering & Tires All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: