Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A couple dumb questions

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Duncan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 9:51 am    Post subject: A couple dumb questions Reply with quote

First (and this one is just embarrassing): How in the heck to I get the handle off of the gear selector on the transmission in a 97 zj 4.0 auto without damaging it?

I want make the thing shorter by cutting it down but I need to get the handle off and I am guessing it is held on by an allen screw or something but it covered in vinyl and I don't want to mess it up since I will be putting it back on. Also I am assuming there is no mechanical reason I can't make that handle short by cutting... Am I wrong?

Second: What the the proper method to shift into 4-lo on my trasfer case? I go between 4 full time, 4 wheel part time and 2wd using the method I have been told for every other tranfer case I have used (simply shifting while driving or coasting between 3 and 30 mph) but to go into 4 wheel low I have to go though the Nuteral position and it will not shift while driving... Turning the jeep off and putting it in nuteral on the trasnmission seems to work ok for shifting in and out of 4 wheel low MOST of the time but once when I did it it popped back so it was in between gears or something and made a nasty sound... So I think I might be doing something wrong. Can someone enlighten me?
cajzmere

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remove handle by sharply pulling straight up on the handle(like almost WHACK!) and it will pop off. Do you have your owners manual, if so check that for shifting. If you're doing it correctly, it sounds like it's out of adjustment. Mine I've almost always have to stop, put in park, then shift to 4LO. Same thing back. But I've got a 249-242 conversion.
Duncan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks... Yeah I don't have the owners manual...
1fox2go

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

make sure you push the button in first
Duncan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The button? You are refering to the transmission handle I guess?
1fox2go

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yea the button you have to press to move it from park reverse etc
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

to shift to 4 low.. You need to be rolling under 5mph.. Put tranny in Neutral and pull the shifter into 4 low then put tranny back in gear..

That should do it..

I cut my shifter handle about 3" shorter and welded a small bolt on the top and screwed a Hurst shifter handle on to the bolt.. (obviously I had to bring the shifter to Lowes and find a bolt that fit it..)

Oh.. I pulled the shifter console off and disconected the shift lock button...

Be carefull you will be able to shift into park reverse or whatever without any thing to stop you (except common sense) I personally like to be able to just grab the shifter and shove it into R or Forward without the stupid button..But be carefull it is not good to shove your tranny into park while you are moving... Mr. Green (by not good I mean.. Its very bad... rofl )

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Duncan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meh... My tranny is dying anyway... It got stuck once and would only go forward so I shifted into reverse at about 5mph... That caused it to get unstuck and also (amazingly) did not break anything...

Also: I think that it will not LET me shift into 4 low with my tranny in netural... Cause I have to shift through the netural on the t-case to get to 4-low.. I will try it next time I am shifting to 4-low.
1fox2go

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if your tranny is dying then i would guess you sustained some damage

on my jeeps the xj and the zj i have to stop put the trans in neutral and then shift to 4 low

thats probably the best way to do it anyway
5.9 andy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

when ever i shift in or out of 4 low, i allways do it the same way.

shift the tranny into neutral, wait like 1 sec, then shift the case, verey rarely i do hear a little grind, but i expect that 2 b normal becase one of my ZJ buddys gets the same noise.

my other friend threw his into 4 low doing like 15MPH... it made the same sound...but WAY!! louder. but he isnt that smart.
5.9 andy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

when ever i shift in or out of 4 low, i allways do it the same way.

shift the tranny into neutral, wait like 1 sec, then shift the case, verey rarely i do hear a little grind, but i expect that 2 b normal becase one of my ZJ buddys gets the same noise.

my other friend threw his into 4 low doing like 15MPH... it made the same sound...but WAY!! louder. but he isnt that smart.
Duncan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nah... Its been dying since I got it... Has not got any worse since then... I put fluid in it and now it works better but the fluid slowly leaks out (only while its running... Mostly when it is in first or second gear).

See my t-case does not LET me switch though nuteral to 4-low except under very specific condition... I can't remember exactly what they are because my jeep is out at my moms house and thus I have not used it for a few days (her house is like half a mile from the national forest and I don't really use it anywhere else so I figured I might as well save gas on driving it back and forth).
Orangeamc13
Got Rev Limiter?
Got Rev Limiter?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I shift mine into 4lo, I have to shift the tranny into reverse, then neutral. That seems to take any load off the t-case, then it shifts into 4lo no problem, and to take it out of 4lo I repeat the same thing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Grand Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: