Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

cracked manifolds

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bajafanatic

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 4:54 pm    Post subject: cracked manifolds Reply with quote

OK.. here is the deal! I had a cracked exhaust manifold as I understand is a very common thing. (THANKS Chrysler) (can you say RECALL)
Anyway.. I searched and search for a cost effective replacement... here is what I found and installed today...
Stainless steel header, from ebay... fatrodder was the place that I purchased it from... less then $200.00 and I installed it today in less than four hours.
The reason I say less than four hours is not to brag, but to let everyone know that there is a cost effective way to fix this issue... I removed the power steering pump, all the wires that connect to the injectors, the cold air intake, throttle and other cables, and then all the bolts holding both the exhaust and intake manifolds in place... I DID NOT however remove the gas line, injector rack, and a few other things the directions said to.. (it saved me time and money) (did not have to purchase and O ring kit or anything extra)
I then moved the intake back out of the way, removed the old exhause manifold out the top, replaced it with the header, placed the intake back in place, torqued all the bolts to 24 ft lbs. and replaced all the other parts...

THE BEST PART... the power I have now... can you say S@*t and GIT!
The Stainless Header runs cooler, adds power, came with the intake gasket as well as the donut for the bottom and new bolts for the exhaust flange...

I would recommend this item to anyone..

Let me know if you need anymore info on how I changed mine...
dancerman

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips. Did you take any pictures you can post? Cool

Hoping mine doesn't crack, knock, knock, knock.
bajafanatic

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 5:08 am    Post subject: pictures? Reply with quote

taking pictures never crossed my mind... sorry about that...

I can however give step by step instructions if anybody needs them...
jeepboi

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 96 with a cracked manifold right now and have been looking for a cheaper solution. Does your new header have a flex pipe where the old ones cracked?
bajafanatic

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 4:02 am    Post subject: cracked manifold Reply with quote

It does not have a flex pipe... this is a true header... there are six main pipes into one collector... VERY SOLID construction that distributes the weight of the exhaust pipe hanging on it, etc...

After all the research I did, it seemed that the flex, or expansion part of the pipe really did not work...

I decided on the header for many reasons.. Strength, open flow of exhaust, better power and yes, GAS MILEAGE...

In my opinion, you cannot go wrong with a well built header in place of OEM, or even some of the after market exhaust manifolds with the expansion pipe built in..
88WOWJ

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 8:36 am    Post subject: Cracked Manifold Reply with quote

My 1988 with 225,000 miles had a cracked manifold when i replaced the engine.
No recall on that mileage.

http://www.carpartstoyourdoor.com/jeepexhaust3.htm
1991 Cherokee Limited
jeepboi

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: cracked manifold Reply with quote

bajafanatic wrote:
It does not have a flex pipe... this is a true header... there are six main pipes into one collector... VERY SOLID construction that distributes the weight of the exhaust pipe hanging on it, etc...

After all the research I did, it seemed that the flex, or expansion part of the pipe really did not work...

I decided on the header for many reasons.. Strength, open flow of exhaust, better power and yes, GAS MILEAGE...

In my opinion, you cannot go wrong with a well built header in place of OEM, or even some of the after market exhaust manifolds with the expansion pipe built in..

I searched for the header that you bought on ebay, but did not find that header. I found a high performance race header that was going for $154+ shipping but I can't remember the who makes it. Do you have a link you can post to the company where you got yours?
jeepboi

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: Cracked Manifold Reply with quote

88WOWJ wrote:
My 1988 with 225,000 miles had a cracked manifold when i replaced the engine.
No recall on that mileage.

http://www.carpartstoyourdoor.com/jeepexhaust3.htm

Is this a performance header buy any chance or just a type of stock replacement? Sorry for the questions I'm use to modding my mustang this whole jeep scene is new to me and I don't know what parts to buy to enhance my Jeep. Wink
88WOWJ

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 12:50 pm    Post subject: Cracked Manifold Reply with quote

It is just Original Equipment. The flex tube in the pipe is supposed to
eliminate cracks but I have seen cracks in them. Headers are the way to go.
1991 Cherokee Limited
jeepboi

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok thanks for the advise.
bajafanatic

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The link below will take you to the same header I purchased... only now, it is less expensive...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/JEEP-WRANGLER-CHEROKEE-4-0L-EXHAUST-HEADER-1991-2-3-4-5_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33631QQihZ004QQitemZ140145309887QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW
jeepboi

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what year is your cherokee? I found these but they, look different from what you bought,not just the ss finish but the whole design. these claim to be performance headers also and fit my year.

http://cgi.ebay.com/1993-94-95-96-97-98-JEEP-GRAND-CHEROKEE-4-0L-HEADER-SS_W0QQitemZ110159699830QQihZ001QQcategoryZ33631QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I think I will just go with the same ones you bought though I like the design more.
bajafanatic

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The one I bought is awesome... It is very thick stainless, so it is strong, but yet releases heat fast...

After all the research I did, I would not go with a replacement that has the "flex" areas in it... I have seen and heard of many of those that still crack...

The header that I purchased has given me better power and better gas mileage... not to mention, it was a breeze to install...
bajafanatic

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot, my jeep is a 98... it has a 5.5 inch lift, 16 inch Mickey Thompson rims, and 285/75/16 Goodyear tires on it... there is also a K&N cold air intake on it as well...
Brad The Best

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that looks like the banks unit , i could be wrong .

i just removed my manifold and tig welded all the seams and cracks , absolutely no problems since .

total cost to me , what ever the gasket cost . i would put on a header but don't know how long i will have the jeep for .
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: