Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Please Help--Wheel shake

View previous topic :: View next topic  
strikea0238

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 4:12 pm    Post subject: Please Help--Wheel shake Reply with quote

So i have had my '01 grand cherokee for about two years. i have kept my tires rotated all the time. lately i have been getting a serious wheel shake in the steering wheel when i apply the brakes going about 40 or more. i believe this has caused my tires to wear funny. the inside tread looks like every other tread is higher than the last. so it looks like this: WwWwWwWwWwW. the big ones are the high ones and little are more worn. i have replaced what my friend called a rigid link (tie rod end) on the linkage from the steering box to the passenger wheel. where else can i go from here to get rid of the noise from my tires and the wheel shake?
Teriod

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rotate, balance, and align your tires and replace as nessicary, also the steering stabilizer might be the culprit here, have your tie rod ends checked for wear,look for loose bolts in the steering components
strikea0238

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

but what would be causing the unusual tire wear. i dont want to invest in new tires if they are going to become the same way
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you say serious wheel shake do you mean ... Crap your pants scary kind of shake or ... Out of ballance tires kind of shake..

Because death wobble (thats the crap your pants shake) is very common on Jeeps that have loose or worn components ..

Usual culprit is control arms or track bar..

I would suggest checking your track bar to make sure its really really tight .. Then check control arms (might as well check steering stabilizer )

Then take a tape measure and measure the inside of your front tires from a steady point . From one tire to the next at the rear.. Then measure from a similar point on the front of the tires inside to inside..

The front measurement should be slightly less than the rear..

If not your alignment is off..

Check those and let us know what you find..

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh also ... Also might want to check the wheel bearing and ball joints..

Jack the front end up and put it on jack stands .. Then grab the tire at 6 and 12 and try to move it ... If it wiggles you have unit bearing.. Then grab it at 3 and 9 and shake it.. If it wiggles its a bad ball joint.. (you may need someone to look at the bearing and ball joints while you are wiggling... They will be able to see movement in one or the other (if there is any..)

Good luck..

Carl

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Suspension, Steering & Tires All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: