Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ZJ budget lift

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
skibum7

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 9:00 pm    Post subject: ZJ budget lift Reply with quote

I have a stock 98 Grand Cherokee and I'm looking for a small lift, enough to fit 31x10.5 tires. It's my daily driver so it will be seeing pavement 90% of the time and highway ride is more important to me than offroad capability. I am also a college student on a budget. Anybody have suggestions for a good quality, inexpensive lift to fit the kind of driving I'm looking for? Would a budget boost give me enough clearance? Any help is appreciated. Thanks!
Orangeamc13
Got Rev Limiter?
Got Rev Limiter?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, a 2" lift will clear 31's. You may have to adjust the steering stops with a couple washers so the tires don't rub. You have two choices: buy a kit or piece one together.

These spacers measure 2 1/4", you can order these and then all you need is shocks and extended bumpstops (very easy to make at home). TrueTwo Spacers

This is a kit that comes with spacers, shocks, and extended bumpstops. But the spacers are a 1/2" shorter than the truetwo's.RE Budget Boost

1fox2go

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't really need extended bump stops, i have 3.5 inch kit stock bump stops

also your on the pavement 90% of the time so that makes another reason to not buy them

I would buy just the spacers and install them, you wont be flexing so shocks are not needed right now

that would be the best way to lift your rig on a budget. Just don't wheel hard till you get longer shocks
5.9 andy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.ironrockoffroad.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=IROR&Product_Code=IR-Z_3LK&Category_Code=PFZ

check that out, little pricey, but a great kit.
Orangeamc13
Got Rev Limiter?
Got Rev Limiter?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1fox2go wrote:
You don't really need extended bump stops, i have 3.5 inch kit stock bump stops

also your on the pavement 90% of the time so that makes another reason to not buy them

I would buy just the spacers and install them, you wont be flexing so shocks are not needed right now

that would be the best way to lift your rig on a budget. Just don't wheel hard till you get longer shocks

I agree, I still have stock bumpstops too! I added them to the list so nobody could say "you're gonna need bumpstops". Although I just blew out a rear shock from stuffing the tire way to far into the wheelwell! rofl

viper24242

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have 2inch spacers and stock shocks with stock bumpstops and everything works perfectly for the most part, at least everything related to the lift works perfectly. The budget boost gave me plenty of clearance and with mud terrains the thing has an amazing boost off road but now I want bigger.

If I did it again I would go for a complete 3.5 inch kit like andy showed in his post. So instead of saving money I am going to spend more on a complete new kit. I am a college kid too but I could have scraped the money together if I hadn't been so impatient.
Flowmaster 50
Rusty's air tube
Rusty's steering stabilizer
AEM throttle body spacer
120 amp alternator upgrade
Rusty's Tie Rod Conversion
5.9 andy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tell us more about ur GC, is it a V8, or a V6...what year is it?
what kind of t-case do u have? what kind of wheeling do u do?
skibum7

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a little more info. It's '98 Grand Cherokee, the last year of the ZJ body style. It has the 4.0 straight six under the hood. I'm not sure about the specs on the transfer case, but it has the quadra-trac full time 4wd system.

Everyone, thanks for the help so far. Right now I'm leaning towards a full 3.5" lift. If anyone has any suggestions for specific kits or any small tips or tricks those would be appreciated as well. Thanks again.

Last edited by skibum7 on Mon Sep 03, 2007 6:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
5.9 andy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

when u say a full kit...do u mean like all new front and rear springs? or that iron rock offrad kit i posted

there is 1 problem with that...u have a 6 cylinder, the swap needs V8 springs, u can use ur stock front springs, but u might have 2 toss on like a 3/4" spacer.
skibum7

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would the kit you suggested work if I buy a new set of rear springs instead of getting a small spacer to offset the smaller front springs? Or would you suggest a kit with all new springs? Earlier I said full kit had been refering to a 3.5" lift kit as opposed to a smaller budget boost.

While I don't want to spend a whole lot of money, quality is important to me. I'd rather spend money now on a good lift than have to fix something else later.
5.9 andy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i would just buy the kit that i showed to you, and once ur done...u might or might not need some spacers...the quality wont be degratd.
that kit from iron rock offrad kit gives the best bang for the buck IMO.
1fox2go

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you don't want to go back later and mess with the suspension I would recommend just getting a 3.5 inch kit

A full kit would be front and rear coils, shocks, control arms and any other pieces you may need. Track bar drop bracket, brake line relocation brackets

I dont have experience with rough countrys 4 inch kit for the zjs but I do know that their 4.5 inch kit for the XJs that i have has been royally abused and then sum. The coils flex pretty damn good. May be worth while to check them out
Brad S

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well here's my two cents on it...

I'm about to do a lift myself. From what info I've gathered, I'm going to go with a 3.5" lift via the front to rear swap.

I will purchase some new front springs from kevinsoffroad.com, and move my current front springs to the rear.
New adjustable front trackbar is all that is needed for centering the axle, you can survive with the rear trackbar. It looks like Kevin's trackbar can be purchased by itself or with what he calls the trackbar conversion. From pictures I have seen, it looks like he takes the stock trackbar bracket, hacks off the old joint, and welds a piece of channel onto it so that his new trackbar can move up and down freely. This mod can probably be done on your own if you can weld.

I will probably purchase new bumpstop extensions because I just purchased a set of 32" BFGoodrich A/T's (which I'm totally excited about) and I don't want them crushing into my wheel wells.

It's up to you on the shocks. Basically, if you want to flex it out, you will need new shocks. If all your going to be doing is driving around town + minor offroading, you can survive on the stock shocks for a while.

BTW, to fit the 32" tires, trimming of the front bumper is required.

If you want to know what the approximate cost breakdown is:

Front 3.5" Coil Springs $150
Adjustable front trackbar $210
(trackbar + conversion) $309
Bumpstop Extensions $60

NOTE* I haven't done this yet, I'm still waiting on some cash. The tires kinda took a bite into my fund, but I came across a great deal so I couldn't pass them up.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wasn't able to use stock shocks when I went to 3.5 they were fully extended
DankNesS

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

F>R is the best bang for your dolla. i didnt use bumpstops and i have front discos and no rear sway bar- but thats how i like it SUPER flexy
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Grand Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: