Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Front end noise

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jeb455

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 4:49 am    Post subject: Front end noise Reply with quote

I have a 1996 GJ and I am getting a humming (bearing??) noise from the front, possibly from the R/H side. The noise starts at about 20mph and gets progressively louder. If I let off the accelerator then the noise goes away. I thought bearings but there is no knocking etc. I reomved the sepentine belt and the alternator etc spin free but the idler/tensioner next to the alternator seemed noisey when I span it by hand. Could this be the problem?
Thanks for any help offered
Little Black ZJ

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 5:21 pm    Post subject: 1996 GJ? Reply with quote

Hmmm, Jeb - could you post a photo of your '96 GJ? I've never heard of that model and I've sure never seen one! Cool

The 1996 ZJ Grand Cherokee (I'm pretty sure that's what you're refering to) you're driving could need one or both front hub bearings replaced. You'll have to eliminate tires, brakes, etc., but you'll be removing them in the process of getting to the bearings to check them. There's another thread being discussed related to humming noises; check it out.
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easiest way to check the Bearings is to jack it up.. Grab the tire at 12 and 6 and wiggle it.. If it wiggles you have bad unit bearings.. If not grab the tire at 3 and 9 if it wiggles there you have a bad ball joint..

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
jeb455

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info. Sorry it is a Grand Cherokee.
jeb455

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have checked the front tyres at the 12 - 6 and 3 - 9 position and there is no noise from either position. I am going to remove the bearing tonight to see what condition it is in.
jeb455

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have lifted all 4 wheels off the gound and run the Jeep up. The front offside wheel does not turn or is very slow then stops. The noise appears to be coming form the diff. Anybody know what the problem is? Thanks
jeque

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi, my grand cherokee have the same noise, and appears to be coming form the diff too, within front axle dissapear the noise, ok?

front axle is from transfer to diff....sorry by the english !!

the solution for my GCH is the correct regulation of diff, have many space between pinion and crowns, etc.... but i did not do it still

god luck !!
jeque from argentina !!!
jeb455

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have replaced one hub bearing and reset the diff bearings to the correct torque settings and so far nothing has changed. I intend to try the hub I removed onto the other side and see if that makes any difference. If not then I intend to get the diff unit out.
Code3TJ
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before you did all that work, you checked to make sure the brakes on that side weren't dragging, right? Also, when you jack it up and wiggle the tire, you're looking for play, not noise.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Grand Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: