Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What size tires would you recommend? stock or 31x10.5

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MiniJeep02

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 8:03 pm    Post subject: What size tires would you recommend? stock or 31x10.5 Reply with quote

I'm new to jeeps, I just bought my first and I want to get a beefier looking tire. I want to know some opinions on getting a larger tire on the stock rim. Should I get the stock size with a cool tire, or a 31x10.5 tire or something in between? I don't want to run into issues from having a larger tire like performance or steering loss.

So I want to know from people that have done it. Is it worth it? Or should I stick the stock size. I'm not in the market for a lift just yet, perhaps in the spring, but the jeep needs tires before winter.

If you have any before and after pictures please post them and let me know what you noticed between the different sizes.

Suggestions welcome
kizer
The Link Meister
The Link Meister

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This should help for the looks questions.
http://ptheune.net/~pir/photos/Jeeps/Tires/Selector/index.htm
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What year is the Jeep? What engine/transmission/gearing does it have?

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
MiniJeep02

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it is a 2002 TJ sport I6 engine with a 5spd. Dana 44 rear end. I believe is has 3.73 gears but I'm not 100%.
el_dubya

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was in the same boat a couple years ago. Mine came with little 205/75r15 on 15x6 rims. I ended up getting 31x10.5 on 15X7 rims (I ran the little tires on the rims for a while, so I had to have the 7 instead of 8 inch wide). There is a little tire rub when the steering is fully locked, but nothing major, could be fixed with a washer. As for performance, anytime you put a bigger tire on, you are going to loose performance. I have a 4cyl 5sp, which took a performance hit, but isn't too bad. I don't know what the difference would be with the I6. If you're thinking lift in the spring, you should think about getting some cheap used tires now, then getting something bigger after the lift. It would suck to spend money on new 31's now, then after the lift, you want bigger. Just my opinion and experience

'98 TJ SE
15x7 ProComp Series 51 Rock Crawler Wheels
31x10.50 General Grabber AT2's
Taurus Fan
Uniden PC68 Elite CB
IBTJn

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just throw some 31x10.5's on it. They'll be fine with a stock rig. I also have an '02 TJ that came stock with the same basic stuff as you have. And there was really no difference in performance at all...except for wheelin' stock (which was much better). With the 3.73's you'll be fine. Your speedo' might be a tad off, but other than that you'll like it. Or rather, I did. I don't have before and after shots between stock tires and 31's, but here's what mine looked like with 31's

And here it is now on 35's

blktrax

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

31x10.50/15's will work just fine if you have the 8in wide alloy wheels. Like posted above.

If you have the 7" wide alloy or steel wheels that came on some of the Sports the 10.50's will scrub at full turn.
MiniJeep02

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be using the stock rims, I have the slimmer 5 spoked style. I am not sure if they are a 7 or 8.
blktrax

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

7 inch

8 inch

But really you might as well just get a 15x8 Steel for $45-50 each when you get your tires then you can run a 32x11.50/15 and not worry about scrubbing.
http://www.quadratec.com/products/product_search.php?cv=200&cn=Steel+Wheels&c=136&pg=1

Im going with these
jplamontdc

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 7:14 am    Post subject: thanks! Reply with quote

this post with the pictures of your jeep (IBTJn) helped out a lot! AND the website that shows different lifts with different tires is a great little site. i have been googling all f'n week, trying to find something like that and came up empty. thanks for putting it out. today i am going to put 31 inch BFG AT KO's (31x10.5x15) on my 2006 Wrangler Sport. There are the rims that I have...http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail/photos/multiPhotoPopup.jsp?paId=239552432&tracktype=usedcc&isuper=true&aff=national

i will add the new pictures of the jeep tomorrow with the new tires. wish me luck!

Jeremy
blktrax

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup you've got the new style 15x8 those 31x10.50's will work perfectly on those.

Here's my 06 with 32x11.50 on the same rim with a 2in coil spacers.

jplamontdc

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 2:18 pm    Post subject: here it is with the 31's Reply with quote

like i said, i was going to get the new sneakers today. picture at the bottom.

it looks great and i WAS in a rush to get the lift...but it looks fine the way it is and i've turned pretty hard and i haven't felt any rub. i do plan on putting a 1 inch daystar body lift, but i am not in a big hurry to do so.

thanks for everyone's posts.

j-

p.s.
i have SOME idea how to post pictures!!

Last edited by jplamontdc on Fri Sep 07, 2007 6:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
IBTJn

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty close. I fixed it for you. The properties should end with .jpg not ?v=0 as you'll notice in your link.

The TJ looks good. Wink
ehirner

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MiniJeep02 wrote:
it is a 2002 TJ sport I6 engine with a 5spd. Dana 44 rear end. I believe is has 3.73 gears but I'm not 100%.

Go with the 31x10.5s.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> TJ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: