Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

First JEEP questions. 89 Cherokee.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Seattle_Chris

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 11:42 am    Post subject: First JEEP questions. 89 Cherokee. Reply with quote

Sorry, I know I'm long winded. Rolling Eyes Please just answer the Q: till you get bored or whatnot.

Ok, got my first JEEP yesterday and I'm wondering about a few things that I coulnd't find using the search. It's a 89 Cherokee Lmtd with Tow Package and 31" tires with no lift. Odometer is 242k, but seller said it got a new motor and tranny 100k ago so they have about 180k on them. And if it's relevant I live in Seattle. Pretty humid, rains almost daily. We DON'T use salt on our roads when it gets icy (one a year or so) except MAYBE up in the mountains.

Q: Where are the common rust out areas on 89's?
I found little bits starting in the rain gutters, and a little bit on the seems on the door sill. Where else should I be looking? Any SNEAKY places I may not think to look? I have VW's so I'm VERY aware of how sneaky rust can be. Shocked Any rust I find I plan on sanding out and using POR-15. I LOVE that stuff. Smile Are floor pans an issue usually? AKA should I tear up the carpetting? Pondering doing that anyway to put some dynamat down.

Q: What is considered 'normal' for Temp and Oil Pressure?
I seem to run just over 210, and about 60PSI bopping around town or just idling.

Q: The 4x4 Selector as a setting for Part-Time and Full-Time. Whats the difference and when should they be used?
Yes, I'm THAT new to 4x4's Embarassed (could have probably found this one using search, but since I'm asking questions anyway. . . . )

Q: What parts should I automatically replace?
VW buses demand new fuel lines. Old Maximas require water pumps and hoses. What is it with jeeps that I can assume to be worn out and needing replacement? Other than the full tune-up stuff (caps, plugs, misc. filters, wipers, etc. etc. etc).

Q: Does the sunroof somehow eject?
I was doing some light detailing to get the car up to my 'new car' standards. and I noticed that on the sunroof (hand cranked, not electric) their are (were) 2 little red buttons. One is broken off. Pressing one doesn't seem to do much, but if I were to depress both of them somehow, would the sunroof flip up and just pull off? Any other screws or levers to pull, or does it just lift out? I'm thinking it would be nice to have 2. One shaded, one clear. ( the clear one for winter, Seattlites need all the sun they can muster during the 9 month rainy season )

Q: What are the different ways of storing a spare on the roof?
Do you NEED a basket up their for the tire, or are just spare tire racks made? Any other logical place to store it outside the vehicle that doesn't block the windows?

Q: I'm missing my fender flares. What years will fit?
Last owner took them off, and I'm wanting to goto a yard, find some, and put 'em back on. I think they were taken off for cosmetic reasons.

Q: Whats the best place online to find stuff like guards for the tail lights?

Q: I'm needing to replace the top of the shifter console, what years fit?
Shifter console would be the part that the gear selectors recess into and that houses the E-Brake. I have no clue what it's REALLY called. The gear indicators on mine are all marred and worn away, and the dust guards are missing so their just large vacant slots that you pull the shifter through. I'm thinking Junkyard run here.

Q: Any JEEP wisdom I should know but probably don't?
I'm reading posts as fast as I can and whatnot to pick me up to speed, but do you have any pearls of wisdom re: cherokees? I'm thinking things such as (I'm making these up as examples). "Don't park downhill when you have less than a 1/4 tank of gas, or the pump won't work" or "Parking with your high beams on for over 30 minutes will start a fire" or "If the truck doesn't start, put into reverse, then back into park, and it'll start up fine". Just oddball little things like that.

Well, thanks for reading and for any answers to any of those questions. Now I'm back off to bed. I work nights. I just woke up with a head full of questions and figured I'd ask 'em. Smile
Chris
master999

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

210 is normal operating temperature for most cherokees/comanches.
if you wanta tire on your roof you should buy a tire rack.
1984-1996 fender flares will fit your 98 i believe.
also rubiconexpress.com, rustysoffroad.com are good places to browse for things
quadna71

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 4:21 am    Post subject: Re: First JEEP questions. 89 Cherokee. Reply with quote

Seattle_Chris wrote:

Q: Where are the common rust out areas on 89's?
look under the carpet in the back - water often leaks down around the side windows, soaks the carpet and insulation, and starts rusting there. also check the rear bumper mounts - they rust out very quickly and easy/cheap to replace.

Q: What parts should I automatically replace?
other than standard tune-up items, i'd only keep an eye on the u-joints, coolant hoses, and check to see if the nuetral safety switch has been fixed/removed.

Q: What are the different ways of storing a spare on the roof?
i've seen people cave in the roof metal with a 31" tire on an aluminum rim - i also think it looks sort of ghetto that way. if you get a roof rack make sure it's just a shorty that will still clear your sunroof.

Q: Whats the best place online to find stuff like guards for the tail lights?
i usually stick to www.quadratec.com for things like that - some of the other online places like www.jeepsareus.com carry factory replacement items for a good price.

Q: I'm needing to replace the top of the shifter console, what years fit?
again, www.jeepsareus.com would have exactly what you need.

Seattle_Chris

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent. Thanks much guys. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: