Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

STOCK to AWESOME; how do i do it best?

View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 11:49 pm    Post subject: STOCK to AWESOME; how do i do it best? Reply with quote

So here the deal, i just bought my cousins completly stock (except for a winch that isnt functioning) 1994 yj off him for a grand, its a Inline 6 with 146k miles on it. im a kid with pretty limited funds and only the basics in mechanics. I was wondering if anyone out there could elighten me with some of their vast knowledge or experience on what works best, how to do it, what sucks ect.

What i want to do(or think i want to do):
air intake
2.5' - 4' lift (not a body lift)
larger tires that still have some redeeming on-road qualities(daily driver)
some type of exhaust upgrade
lights, the bigger and more i can get the better
protective liner for bed (took out back seats)
Short shifter
Bumpers/grill guard
throttle body and spacer

And some more specific questions:
If i lift it, do i need steering stabilizers and whatnot? do i need all the new leaf springs and shocks and brushings or is there a cheaper/simpiler way?

if i get larger tires/lift, do i need to calibrate my spedo diffrently?

are there any good places to get yj parts cheap or used?

Thanks for any info and enlightenment you can give me, i want to learn as much as there is about my car and how i can work with it to make it something really cool.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW okay where to start
lift if you are ever planning to have it on a 4"in lift dont even mess with the 2.5 save your pennies till you can get the 4

tires this one you will get a million different opions for starters go with a cheap after market all-terrain till you get your lift then you are free to put up to a 33in tire at which point i recomend Truxus MT awesome of road and decent on road

light be sure to check you amp draw on the if you run 10 100W KCs you will find that you will start eating alternators unless you upgrade them i would suggest two 100W mounted on wind sheild bracket (for off-road only) and a couple of 50w on your bumber/brushgard

when lifting a jeep no you ahould not need stering stabilizer other than the stock but you will want a drop pitman just to keep everything square. yes to get 4" you will need new spring packs, longer shocks,extended brake lines

good luck

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suggest you save your money and not waste it on the throttle body spacer, I had one on my 91 and took it off, I honestly couldnt notice a diffrence after I took it off. When I went through emissions it gave me an O2 dilution problem too.

Wannabee KC's off ebay are the way to go on a limited budget. 50 bucks for 2 or check Harbor Freight

Look for some dupont spray in bed liner in the automotive section at fredmeyer. 8 bucks a can and it does pretty good. 1 can should do fine for your bed area. I had it in the bed of my ranger and on the quarter panels.
teague yj

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 93 i put a 4" rough country lift kit(try and buy a kit whatever you do)on which was about 450(pretty cheap for 4"), and a steering stabilizer is a good idea(can add w/ kit)Check out Plus if you're lookin for flex swaybar disconnects are a great idea.

i got 32x11.5" dunlop mud rovers from sears for bout 135 each(dont need to calibrate speedo for 32s or 33s).

as for bumper warn is pretty reasonable and solid. Flowmaster muffler which you can get put on at local muffler shop or meinike for less than 150. I went to O'reily(but can go to advance or autozone) and get duplicolor truck bed liner and they can tell you how to apply it(It's not that hard). Short throw shifter isnt really important unless you really want it(In my opinion)

Best advice go to make a wish list and buy it as you can. I'm 16 so i deffinately know how you feel about the money.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

S.O.A is def the best way to go. if you know some one who can weld its really easy otherwise full traction makes a bolt on kit thats reasonable. it also very very cheap to lift the truck and all you need to get are the perches 2o$ per diff, extended shocks about 60$ ea. from rusty's. you can make your own extended brake lines with brake line from a local auto parts store. you can make a panhard bar brakes with two peaces of steel easy enough or get one after market there cheap. you can drop the t-case for 10$ with a set of hockey pucks and longer bolts. and your done. you light also want to grab a dropped pitman are. oh and a drive shaft and SYE , tom woods has some good combo deals on the pair. Trust me you will be very happy with the results with stock springs youll get about six inches of lift and it will flex like a mother fucker. after that i'd say all you need performance wise is a cat back and maybe an intake but if your runnin mud a cold air is a bad idea. no throttle body spacers there a waste. youl'd be surprised how much power you can get out of a stock 4.0 for light i recomend a set of kc's there great. and bumpers and stuff are just for looks in my opinion although they do help there quite expensive. a simple bruch guard will do you just fine.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh and for tires and wheels jc whitney has a good package for 35's with mickey-t's on black rims i think there like 950 $ and wal mart sells a brush on style bed liner thats what i uses in my tuck it was like 56$ and i haven't had a problem with it. im a college kid and this has been the best way iv'e found to cut costs with out sacrificing performance.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> YJ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: