Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Do all fore tires have to mach to use 4wd?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
niksdaman

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 5:58 pm    Post subject: Do all fore tires have to mach to use 4wd? Reply with quote

i have a 91 cherokee limited, it has good back tires but the front tires are bald. can i put tires that are the same size but have a different amount of tread on the front. or will the tread difference be to much stress on the t case wile in 4wd?
kaos

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I replied to your other question before I saw this. Given this condition of the tires, your problem with shifting out of 4wd probably is driveline windup.

All four tires should be the same size and with the same amount of wear. If they aren't it will cause driveline windup while in 4wd part time modes, which will, as you have already found out, cause difficulties in shifting the t-case, and may indeed cause premature wear or even failure of driveline components.
As you have the 242 case, you have the option of using the 4wd full time mode, but I'm not sure that's a good idea if the tires are badly mismatched; the differential inside the t-case is designed to accomodate minor variations in speed between the front and rear axles, not to be constantly rotating.

If for some reason you can't replace these tires immediately, I would advise the following: 1. Use the good tires on the front axle. Steering and braking is more important than grip for the drive wheels. 2. Don't use 4wd unless you absolutely must, and then only for as short time as possible (to get free if stuck, for example). 3. Replace the tires as soon as you possibly can.

Best regards,
--
Kári
Brad The Best

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fine in the mud . just don't rip around on pavement in 4wd .

not saying its good , kaos is totally right .
niksdaman

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

is there some way to fix driveline windup, or will it go away when I get better tires?
Orangeamc13
Got Rev Limiter?
Got Rev Limiter?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think that bald front tires would cause the t-case to bind up. Hey, it's possible, but not to probable. Yes, you could put different tires on the front, even a different tread pattern, as long as all 4 are the same size. You'll want to measure the tires once they are on the Jeep and off the jacks, because not all brands measure what they are supposed to be. I see people run different treads in the front and back all the time.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: