Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Windshield wiper lonkage problems

View previous topic :: View next topic  
cahartz

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 9:05 am    Post subject: Windshield wiper lonkage problems Reply with quote

I'm new to both jeeping as well as to this site, so this topic may have been covered before. That being said I have a 1986 cj7 ...the wipers have a tendency to bind up ...I have replaced the entire linkage assembly and still have the same problem. It appears as if the windshield metal on the drivers side is flexing (this cj7 has no rust on windshield).....does anyone have a fix or suggestion ? Any help would be greatly appreciated
jeepbilt

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only repair that I have had success with is sandwiching the w/s frame with very thin stainless steel flatwashers. Use a mil-spec flat washer, in the .038 thickness range and of course with the i.d. of the washer matched to the o.d. of the pivot housing, 2 per pivot. File a notch in each washer to match the tab on the pivot housing. Remove the pivot assembly from the w/s frame, carefully hammer and dolly the w/s frame area around the hole as flat as possible. Place one of the flatwashers on the pivot, install pivot in w/s frame, place the 2nd flatwasher on the pivot assembly, followed by the gasket, spacer, and nut. By sandwiching the frame sheetmetal, you are spreading the force from the wiper linkage over a broader area. Make sure your linkage bushings are in good condition. Worn linkage bushings are a major cause of w/s frame bending. If this doesn't fix your problem, then you will probably have to replace the w/s frame.

George
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> CJ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: