Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Lowering Suspension

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Grand Cherokee Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
02GrndChrokee

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 7:18 am    Post subject: Lowering Suspension Reply with quote

Now I know that jeep enthusiasts usually will raise their jeep to the sky. so you can call me an oddball if you want, but i'm looking to lower my 02 Grand Cherokee Limited, and im not sure if it will conflict with the Quadra Drive drivetrain. If not, i will continue my plans for lowering the vehicle, so i will need some suggestions on brands and also some advice on the matter. Thanks
DankNesS

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

id say the easiest way to lower your GC would be to save up enough denero for a MOnte' or caddilac eldo and lower that pop on some 13s and call it good.THEN you can lift your Jeep put on some big tires (spinners if you must) and 4x4 the heck out of it. Jeeps are meant to be wheeled not lowerd. unless you only have 2w then you can lower the front drop in a hemi tub it slick it drag it and race it.
if you turn your Jeep into a lo lo the Jeep gods will be very displeased and will be forced to punish you severly. i deifnately wouldnt want a lightning bolt through my engine Neutral Finger
Finger
02GrndChrokee

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DankNesS wrote:
id say the easiest way to lower your GC would be to save up enough denero for a MOnte' or caddilac eldo and lower that pop on some 13s and call it good.THEN you can lift your Jeep put on some big tires (spinners if you must) and 4x4 the heck out of it. Jeeps are meant to be wheeled not lowerd. unless you only have 2w then you can lower the front drop in a hemi tub it slick it drag it and race it.
if you turn your Jeep into a lo lo the Jeep gods will be very displeased and will be forced to punish you severly. i deifnately wouldnt want a lightning bolt through my engine Neutral Finger
Finger

Well, i wasn't asking for a smartass comment asshole...i was asking a simple question...if you cant answer it, dont leave a comment. besides i already have a vehicle to to take my ass anywhere i want to go. And My jeep is too nice to f*ck up on any trails anyway...so piss off
DankNesS

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

02GrndChrokee wrote:
DankNesS wrote:
Finger

Well, i wasn't asking for a smartass comment asshole...i was asking a simple question...if you cant answer it, dont leave a comment. besides i already have a vehicle to to take my ass anywhere i want to go. And My jeep is too nice to f*ck up on any trails anyway...so piss off

no need to be a poop brain ok homie? i wasnt even been too sarcastic. i HATE jeeps on small rims and tires... dropping it and scrapping it on speed bumps is dumb and ignorant... you should trade your jeep for a denali or tahoe saburbain exploder expodition or a kiai!!! it was a lil joke no need to get all bent out of shape...... grow some thicker skin! seriously with that last sentance you wrote about "to nice to see the trails" you are totally in the wrong vehicle.. you dont have to abuse it but you can wheel in luxury like i do.. my grand was all pretty and clean when i got her too... but i quickly slapped the biotch out of it and made her trail worthy like all jeeps should be! id wheel an srt8 cus thats the kind of jeeper i am... good luck with your build id check out car domain so you dont get people like me who know jeeps should never be lowered only lifted and wheeled... even a compass
Brad The Best

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cut a few inches off the coils , thats what i would do . it will cost you nothing .

oh and don't use a cutting torch and its spring steel so don't try a sawzall unless you want to be there for a while

zip cut .

if you don't like my idea ( i don't know why you wouldn't) then try google searching .

problems you might have 1. alignment 2. sway bars ends hitting coils 3. drive line alignment off (vibration)

how low do you want to go ?

dankness was just bugging he likes to bug Wink we are a friendly forum for the most part with a few jokes now and again .

i hope that helps
cajzmere

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It shouldn't mess with your 4wd at all as long as all 4 wheels are the same height. I've never looked for lowering stuff, so I have no idea what brands are good. I've got some guys that live near me that have lowered all kinds of cars and trucks. The coolest I ever saw was this cholo riding in a slammed down Chevy Silverado extended cab duelly(4 rear wheels) with 22s in the back! This thing was f'in cool!! It was super wide, super long and scrapin' the ground. I HAVE seen a lowered Grand and I thought it was alright. I DO have to say I think Grands look better raised, but go for it! Post up pics when you are done! As to how I would do it. Break out the chop saw and have at those springs. Keep an eye on steering angles and driveshaft lengths.
Good Luck!
5.9 andy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i agree... get out the sawzall and measure carefuly then cut away, have a person standing there spraying it with cool water or oil, (preferably oil because it will cut ezer and water conducts electricty).

but i still will agree with dankness as well......the jeep gods will not be happy, so u might wana think of makeing some kind of sacrafice to please the jeep gods.
nixt

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lowering Jeeps is just the type of idea that daimler-chrysler seems to be encouraging these days. They are going for the "urban" market by getting rappers to endorse their new vehicles- like missy elliot applauding the commander. Also there was that godawful commercial for the compass that involved the "steady bounce in their jeeps on these new york streets". I'm personally pleased (and hopeful) that now that the nazis have sold chrysler off to a private equity firm that now maybe the powers that be will get jeep back to its 4x4 roots and heritage. But as for lowering your jeep, I'm sure that if you call up summit racing or JC whitney they'll be able to help you out to get some new coil springs. It's not the way I would go but hey, it's your money.
with 2" coil spacers for 3.5-3.75 total lift
235/85R16 Goodyear MTR's Measure a true 32"

Life has No Value,
But Death Has Its Price.
M34T

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 12:24 pm    Post subject: Lowering Suspension Reply with quote

Anyone that wants to lower a JEEP has to be mentaly disabled or a just another punk wanbe rapper! too funny
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could put some cherokee front coils on the back and your rear coils on the front.. That should lower you about 2 inches.. (maybe even more..)

I dont agree with lowering a Jeep either but its your Jeep . do what you want...

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
OnAll4s

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recall that Eibach makes (or used to make) a performance lowering kit for the '93-'95 models. Check with them, they might have something available.
fishjrl

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

even though i disagree with lowering it swampy's idea should get about 2-3.5 inches lower
DankNesS

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i vote to delete this thread as to not accidentily coax some newbies into lowering thier grands. it would sure be awful if this thread started an epidemic of lowerd Zjs and wj's. what would we do then????

please dont let this happen id sure hate to have to say "told you so" Razz Razz Razz Twisted Evil Finger pissed rofl rofl rofl rofl
prj57

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few ideas/suggestions:

I own a 98 ZJ ltd 5.2

Now, against all of you hardcore off-roaders, I'm more into street/strip!

I have lowered many vehicles including my ZJ and the first thing that one should consider when lowering: NEVER CUT YOUR FACTORY COILS

The factory coil spring has been calculated and engineered for the particular application, load factor, compression and thus has a particular length! When you cut the factory spring, all those things I said fly out the window and you can really mess up your ride's suspension, even worse - crash somewhere!

Aftermarket lowering springs, have different coil numbers, coil thickness is greater and have a diferent rate of compression to cater for the same weight but reduced height! Cutting factory coils will make them softer, unsafe and will wear the shocks faster as it puts more stress/weight on them!

Eibach DO make a lowering spring set for ZJs and it's approx. 2 inches and will cost around $250

OFF T: Why do you think that lowered Jeeps suck!
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because lowering a Jeep is an afront to god...

Its like cutting the boobs off of a woman..

It just aint right...

rofl rofl rofl

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Grand Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: