Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

01 Wrangler Sport Q's

View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 9:51 am    Post subject: 01 Wrangler Sport Q's Reply with quote

Hey guys Im fairly new to all of this. I just picked up an 01 5spd sport with 50k miles that was pretty modded. This is my first jeep and I plan to keep it for awhile. Its got a 4'' skyjacker lift and a 4'' body life , 36in mickey's. Dana 30's in the front and 44's in the back. Not to sure on the gears because the tag is gone and I havent looked inside or turned the tires yet. Brute force ram air intake , exteded fender flares and all the jazz with lights and running bar. Now the guy I bought it from didnt drive it but maybe 5k miles and bought a hummer for more room .. he was fairly rich it seemed. He said that everything was done professionaly and he never really did much offroading ( I took that for what its wroth since it being a jeep and all) I was just wondering if I could get some insight on what I should look into parts wise. Now im not about to lift it anymore , but maybe new gears and some more power would be nice. The I6 dose great , but it is hard to turn those 36's. I figured I would post a pic to make it easier to
judge. Thanks and hope to get some good advice!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leave it be, use up the tires, then back off to a 35x12.50 or even a 33x12.50.

Gears would help on the hi-way but the problem becomes unsprung weight and added stress on the axles. If you re-gear to have the power and really take it rock crawling a lot; there's a stong chance of breaking the axle shafts or bending the axle tubes. If is a once and a blue moon kinda thing, should hold up fine.

Don't waste your money on "power adders", change the muffler of you want to change the sound. But intakes and all that chip, and programmers and stuff are a waste. Yes they can make more, but the doller per HP gained, isn't worth it. Also its not a race car. Regear or go to a smaller tire. or both. Besides a well maintained I6 will easily go 250K miles with hardly an issue.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ummmm, yeah. Rolling Eyes

anyways, regearing is not bad for the jeep and you won't magically explode once you go wheeling it. if you plan on keeping a tire size roughly the same as what you have now, make sure you gear to a 4.88 ratio. that ratio and the 5-speed are a perfect match with 35"-36" tires. if money allows, a good upgrade is to swap the front axleshafts to a set of alloys. you can feel pretty confident that you'll be okay with most wheeling - it's the simplest way to get some peace of mind out of the front axle. don't worry about the d44 in will be okay unless you start launching yourself off of rocks with it.

about that body lift - it's the general consensus that 3" (or 4" for that matter) is way too high of a body lift on a jeep. you'll have a better performing jeep if you pull the 4" body lift and just swap out the current 4" coilsprings with a nice set of RE 4.5 springs. if you are dead set on still having some sort of body lift, go with a 1" or 1.25" kit. this will give you a little more clearance for stuffing the tires and also help with tub clearance should you decide to install a flat belly-pan skidplate down the road. JKS makes a nice 1.25" kit that, when combined with their 1" motor mount lift will even help with the severe driveline angles brought on by high suspension lifts.

crawl around underneath it some more and start looking for other aftermarket parts and then post back up on here. look for things such as aftermarket control arms, track bars, steering linkages, swaybar links, rear driveshaft / slip yoke eliminator kit, beefed-up skidplates, etc. if some of the terminology is new to you, google image them to help recognize them. good luck!
2003 TJ Sport

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the info. Im actually in the marines , and im stationed in Japan for another 10 months .. so I cant just crawl under the jeep. The 36x14.5's are pretty big , would it be better to size down to maybe 35x12.5's? I 4 wheel some , but its not an everyday thing. I wouldnt go to much in the sand .. mosty in the woods , so rock and mud.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> TJ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: