Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Axle upgrades

View previous topic :: View next topic  
lakeland713xj

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 7:36 am    Post subject: Axle upgrades Reply with quote

Ok there is a dana 44 TJ front at a junkyward everything complete minus the locker part its just t he ring and pinion and bolts sitting inside with no carrier the guy said hed give it to me for 200 if i gave him my stock front axle...is all id have to do it buy say an ARB locker then bolt the ring gear on and install it with fluid and bolt it up...are there any other things id have to do?????

also theres an old Dana 44 out of like an 88 XJ there he said 400 i pulled the plug and the fluid doesnt look to badand every thing still spins is 400 a god deal or should i keep looking

6.5" rough county
33x12.50 toyo mts
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: Axle upgrades Reply with quote

lakeland713xj wrote:
all id have to do it buy say an ARB locker then bolt the ring gear on and install it with fluid and bolt it up...are there any other things id have to do????

It's a bit more complicated than just bolting it all up. There are several inter-related adjustments that have to be done...and each one affects the others. You canít just set one thing and move on to the next. As you change backlash, the pinion depth changes...as the pinion depth changes bearing preload changes, yada, yada, yada...and getting them close is not good enough, the gears need to be setup to exact specifications or they'll tear themselves to shreds.

You'll also need special tools to get the job done...at a minimum (and aside from normal hand tools) you'll need a dial indicator, a micrometer, a bearing press, a bearing puller/separator and torque wrenches (both in/lbs and ft/lbs).

As far as the 88 XJ D44, $400 is not too bad. I'd offer $300 and negotiate from there. Wink

edit - The front 44 in Rubicons has 4.11 gears. Your XJ most likely has 3.55's. So if you use the gears that are with the front 44, you'll need regear your rear axle to 4.11 as well...or regear the front to 3.55 to match what you already have in the rear. Keep in mind though that 3.55 is the cutoff point, so if you buy a carrier for the front to house 3.55's, you'll have to replace it if you regear lower (numerically higher) later.

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
lakeland713xj

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i kno all the work for gears.... i have all the tools ive changed the gears in plenty of cars my question was not about the gear install but about the axle bolting up...will it ??

6.5" rough county
33x12.50 toyo mts
Brad The Best

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mounts are the same , 400$ is a ripp off , 250-300$ haggle down the price its a wrecking yard you will get him to go lower .

don't know about the yoke , should be the same u-joint . next time you go to the junk yard to buy something bring a tape measure and a piece of paper to write down dimensions . Smile
lakeland713xj

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i wish they had good locker choices and build kits for the 8.25 or maybe they do i just cant find em

6.5" rough county
33x12.50 toyo mts
badger

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lakeland713xj wrote:
i wish they had good locker choices and build kits for the 8.25 or maybe they do i just cant find em

uhmm you must not the magic word called google.......

there are several lockers for the 8.25 .there are alloys for the 8.25 you just need to look

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, lockers and shafts are out there...just not quite as easy to find as for say a D35, but they can be found.

If you have an 8.25, a D44 is a direct bolt in affair...including your existing driveshaft. If you have D35, everything will bolt in, but the D35 pinion is shorter or longer (can't remember which) by about an inch or two. Might not be too big a deal, just something to check out after the swap...depending on how much lift you've got, you might need a new driveshaft.

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: