Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Rear Diff Gear oil change

View previous topic :: View next topic  
podunkjeep

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 7:22 pm    Post subject: Rear Diff Gear oil change Reply with quote

Hi folks, new guy here, but your site seems helpful and interesting!

I plan to chage the now-quite-leaky rear diff gasket and gear oil. I've never done it before and believe I can do it despite my handicap of having ZERO mechanical skills.

I read the great write-up by Code3TJ (Thanks!!), and plan to get going in the next couple days.

Questions< I've read great stuff about Lube Lockers and synthetic gear oil,
could anyone please share their opinion before I commit?

Any other novice-wrencher advice?

I appreciate all helpful advice.

Dave
Duncan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I am not mistaken synthetic is not recommended for jeeps because it cost more and apparently does not provide any additional life or performace and can be mildy corrosive to the metals used in the Jeep diff.

That might be total BS... I have never changed my diff fluid (Yet.. And now I am replacing the axles... LOL) I just read that somewhere.
podunkjeep

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya, that's what's so confusing. There are many who use ONLY synthetics and swear by them, and then some disagree. I was once an Amsoil kinda guy, but Mobil 1 is so much easier to get when I want to do something at the spur of the moment. Mobil 1 makes a gear lube with the friction additives often mentioned in write ups here and elsewhere.

Anyone hate Mobil 1 ??
kirkwood007

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea I hate mob1 but its only cause I work for Ashland Inc who owns Valvoline. BUT my guys at the Valvoline Instant Oil Change stations tell me that 75w140syn is the only way to go if you are doing any towing or offroading. I know that you might not like Valvoline but I definately will follow my mechanic friends and say use a synthetic if you are pushing it in the dirt or on the rocks.
Code3TJ
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use synthetic in the diffs since they arent' changed nearly as often as engine oil, for instance.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> TJ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: