Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

4X4 transfer case

View previous topic :: View next topic  
runwyatt87

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 4:13 pm    Post subject: 4X4 transfer case Reply with quote

I have a 99 with a 140000 miles. My jeep has been vribrating more than usual and i was goona have it looked atwhen i got back but anyways. The main drive shaft blew a hole in the side of the tranfser case when i was driving. Can anyone tell me why or how this could of happened? The teeth on the drive shaft are fine, none are broken or anything. And i was also wondering how hard it would be to replace it? thank you
Brad The Best

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 7:56 pm    Post subject: Re: 4X4 transfer case Reply with quote

runwyatt87 wrote:
The main drive shaft blew a hole in the side of the tranfser case when i was driving.

thats really interesting , perhaps the shaft fell off , broken u-joint? slip yoke? and smashed the t-case .

your going to want a new drive shaft probably or have it checked at least by a machine shop if it's bent at all or twisted or dented it will vibrate like crazy .

its like 12 bolts or something to change the transfer case , main thing is to determine what t-case you have . it will be on a metal tag on the back of the t-case and will say something like np231 or nv 231 or np242 etc . that is the number you want . now go to a recking yard and buy one from the same era . i wouldn't pay much more then 300 $ for it . but maybe im cheep .

i would change the oil in the new one and change the rear seal just for kicks .

the biggest problem with changing the t-case is that it's fairly heavy and above your head , and probably filthy . Very Happy
Brad The Best

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if it just broke the rear cover you could buy a new rear cover and just change that .

can you please post a picture , i would love to see it .
runwyatt87

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

actually it was the front drive shaft not the main one. sorry about that. and i did buy a sed transfer case for 250$. the problem that we r have now is if we have to take the support brace off or not to pull the old trasfer case off.
Duncan

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You mean the t-case skid? If so you will definitely have to at least lower it to get at the bolts and probably take it off cause I know the t-case skid actually SUPPORTS the case on the cherokee (unlike on ZJs) at least I THINK so...
Brad The Best

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

t-case mount / skid plate / crossmember the xj likes to make things have a few purposes . like the frame/body .

put a jack stand under the tranny unbolt the crossmember , put a jack under the t-case or a friend you don't really like and unbolt it . its heavy so one person holds it while the other bolts it up .

or hold it with the jack .
runwyatt87

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok thanks i will put up pixs while we do it tomorrow
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: