Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

03 SailCloth top

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mitchss

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2004 10:41 am    Post subject: 03 SailCloth top Reply with quote

This may be a dumb question, but I haven't seen a definitve answer anywhere. Do all 2003 and up models (with soft top) come with the SailCloth top? I bought a used 2003 X model with the kakhi top and was wondering if it had it. Thanks for da help!
2003 Red TJ X, auto, 3" OME lift, Warn Rock Crawler front & rear w/ tire carrier, Warn X8000i winch, 16" MT Classics w/ 33" MT/R's, RB1 NAV Radio, Alpine R series speakers, Whelen 100W siren, Whelen Talon dual LED red/blue
blupupher

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2004 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it is the stock top, then yes, it is sailcloth. All from 2001+ are sailcloth from factory.
'drack
▲▼webwheeler▼▲
▲▼webwheeler▼▲

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2004 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, like he said it's sailcloth. I believe the only difference in those model years is that the OEM tops from 03 and up went to a 3ply sailcloth from the 01-02 4ply. From my understanding this was just to make the top easier to deal with. I have the Bestop sailcloth on mine and that's the extra ply one and it is rather hard to get completely folded down when it comes to storage under a duster type cover. If I'm wrong on the exact ply count difference, I'm sure someone will correct it for ya Smile .
blupupher

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2004 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

'drack wrote:
Yeah, like he said it's sailcloth. I believe the only difference in those model years is that the OEM tops from 03 and up went to a 3ply sailcloth from the 01-02 4ply. From my understanding this was just to make the top easier to deal with. I have the Bestop sailcloth on mine and that's the extra ply one and it is rather hard to get completely folded down when it comes to storage under a duster type cover. If I'm wrong on the exact ply count difference, I'm sure someone will correct it for ya Smile .

Nope, your correct. I personaly don't have an issue with the thicker sailcloth. It seems heavier than the '04 my friend has, but folds just fine.
ehirner

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2004 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't had a ride in a Jeep with the 4 ply sailcloth (that I can remember)...but the 3-play sailcloth on the 04 that I test drove was certainly more quiet than soft top I ran previously. I've got a hardtop now b/c of where I work, and it's black instead of tan. The 04 soft top was at least as quiet as my hard top.
mitchss

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2004 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies! I knew you guys would help a brother out.

dancing banana
2003 Red TJ X, auto, 3" OME lift, Warn Rock Crawler front & rear w/ tire carrier, Warn X8000i winch, 16" MT Classics w/ 33" MT/R's, RB1 NAV Radio, Alpine R series speakers, Whelen 100W siren, Whelen Talon dual LED red/blue
Keithtj
ARLI$$
ARLI$$

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in need of a new top and was wondering if the sailcloth is worth the money. I hear that it is quiet but have never experienced it.

My Morning Jacket
'drack
▲▼webwheeler▼▲
▲▼webwheeler▼▲

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll still get some outside noise bleeding in, but there's really not much ya can do since there's still the plastic windows. Buffetting is really minimal and it is much quieter than the pre-01 tops. I'm not sure how they are with the upper front half skins though as I have full doors. I imagine you'll still have some noise because the doors are still two piece.
Code3TJ
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the sailcloth top with the upper door skins and compared to the old top, it's like night and day. The only drawback (and it's not much of one) is that I have the tinted windows and it's hard to see out of the back at night. If you're looking for a new top, I'd highly recommend one.

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> TJ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: