Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

gertie's trip to vermont

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tuter19

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 8:54 pm    Post subject: gertie's trip to vermont Reply with quote

Also though it pains me to bring up the lazy journalist's favourite past-time you can pretty much guarantee that the first non-Beatles album in most 'Greatest Ever' lists that people insist on re-pu
Another good reason for drinking tea is that it boosts your immune system, a 14-ounce can artichoke hearts, drained and stroke volume by decreasing the potency of norepinephrine (nor
truly works and we will only promise you our proven realistic results: it is very hard to remove stretch  Active thermogenesis?Changes in calories burned due to changes in
topping, and any tea you love frequencies that are bombarding us are making you sick. Those are the 62 Part II: Getting Started: The Four-Week Plan and Beyond

Last edited by tuter19 on Tue Sep 07, 2010 4:08 am; edited 2 times in total
TheBrat97

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

$1200 is robbery for a freeze plug. I would say $800 at the very most. It's not something that's easy to do especially if it's a plug on the back of the block, so if you haven't done it before then I really wouldn't recommend it. Of course this is just my personal opinion.
ottomobile1

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

go for it. it'll save you a hella lot of money and you'll learn a lot in the process. everyones gotta start somewhere.
c130herc

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

$1200 is way to much. Last week I had a local machine shop vat, bore, turn the crank, and install the crank, pistons/rods, new freeze plugs, cam bearings and redo the head on a 4.0 for $800. Call your local machine shop and see what they would charge. Might be worth it to yank the motor if you’re able to and take it to them to get all the plugs done. If one is rusting out then the others are probably not far behind.
monkeyman3875

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do it yourself. It's not too hard if you follow a FSM, but make sure you follow it to the 't' and have an extra pair of hands, it can get messy.
-130k Miles (and counting)-> let me know of any preventative maintenance you guys can think of. PM me.
Brad The Best

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the only hard part is pulling the engine . if you are comfortable with pulling the engine then the plugs are easy .

steps to remove and install freeze plugs

1. grab ether a screw driver or preferably a punch and a hammer , place the punch or screw driver in the middle of the plug . now hammer the crap out of it till it goes inside the engine .

2. get a pair of channel lock plier's and grab a hold of the freeze plug and rip it out of the block .

3. clean up the surface with some emery cloth .

4. hammer in the new plugs , put in a block heater at this time also if you need one in your climate .

last time i checked the frost plug kit for the 4.0 is 20$

800$ seems expensive 500$ seems better . but then again i don't pay anyone to do anything for me mechanic wise , so what do i know .

i swapped my engine and had it running in under 2 hours . so start friday and finish sunday .

or pay some one to do it if you aren't comfortable . no shame in that .
tuter19

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey

Thanks all for your posts

I got the parts and I'm gonna giver a whirl this weekend cuz I need my Jeep back soon it's hunting season and my wifes VW won't cut it....lol
I figured I'd try it myself first why not??

I'll post the results (good or bad)

thanks again..
Alex22

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I remove freeze plugs I use a punch and hammer to hit the plug on the side. usually it will start to pivot in the center, then you can reposition the punch or use a set of vice grips and remove the plug completely. As a warning; if you decide to do it this way and when you are hamering a corner in and it stops abruptly, STOP its against a cylinder wall, if you continue you will damage the block. I use retaining locktite (the green stuff) when I install the plugs. Its been a shop practice since a plug we installed dry fell out. Just a drop or two on the edge and spread it with a clean finger.

~Alex
Brad The Best

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

only thing i have ever used to glue them in is flange sealant , but locktight would work to . i have never had a plug fall out anyway . its all about installing them properly .

knocking them in takes no time at all and there is no risk to wrecking anything . but i guess we all have our different ways of doing things .
tuter19

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey all

The freeze plug change went well just took alot of time spent the whole weekend at it, but it don't leak anymore so it was worth it.......
Brad The Best

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sweet
91 Cherokee

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also have to remove and replace my freeze plugs. I am on a very limited budget and will be doing the job myself.

Question #1...tuter19, Did you pull your engine to do the job?

Question #2...What should I do in addition to the freeze plugs while I have the engine out? My engine has 210,000 miles on it and has good compression. I figure I need to replace the rear main seal, pan gasket and a few other things.....how many of you would put in new main bearings? Valve job? Oil pump?

I don't have any extra dough burning a hole in my pocket, but I want to do a bit more than freeze plugs if I have to pull the engine.

Might as well paint it while its out too.
monkeyman3875

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you don't have to pull the engine. If you don't pull the engine you will have to remove the cylinder head. It's not as hard as it sounds as long as you have a manual to follow.
-130k Miles (and counting)-> let me know of any preventative maintenance you guys can think of. PM me.
91 Cherokee

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks monkeyman, I will get an FSM. Do you think a valve job makes sense while the head is off?
lakeland713xj

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think a valve job would depend on your budget and the time you can afford to have your XJ down...like when my clutch needed replacing i figured since i was under it i would put in a high flow oil pump new pan new seals heavier flywheel new slave cylnder changed the fluids on the tranny and t case rebuild the drive shafts paint them and cleaned up in the tunnel....but i was able to barrow my dads truck for the 2 weeks it was down..would have been a 4 or 5 days if i didnt strip a torq head bolt because i thought it was to low not to be a regular hex so i had to grind the head off little by little with out catching the aluminum....but if i didnt have my dads truck to get me two and from work and school it would be a saturday clutch and flywheel swap and get it running before monday comes with out all the other do dads

6.5" rough county
33x12.50 toyo mts
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: