Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hard Starting, fuel pressure questions

View previous topic :: View next topic  
davebl

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 5:46 pm    Post subject: Hard Starting, fuel pressure questions Reply with quote

Not to sound like another hard start question.... but I just need some info about the fuel pump and fuel pressure.

My 98 ZJ, 5.2L with 127 has a difficult time starting, but once started, runs great. It basically just has to crank for about 5 - 6 seconds, then starts going.

I suspect fuel, so I got a pressure gauge, and first thing this morning put it on my fuel rail. 0 psi. So I turned my key to on, and again 0 psi. I cranked the car a few times, and now we had some pressure.... but it just starts going back down slowly. So I started it (now we had some fuel in the line), and of course it runs fine. The gauge is showing right at 70psi. I watched it for a few minutes running and it never moved from 70 psi.

So I suspect a fuel pressure regulator, which I believe is built into the fuel pump assembly. I'm thinking about just getting a whole new assembly, and then keeping the old one for a spare pump/parts/etc.

Any opinions of the Autozone vs. Napa vs. Dealer replacements?

Could there be something easier and cheaper to repair other than fuel pump related parts?

Thanks for your input guys.

Dave
Got Rev Limiter?
Got Rev Limiter?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fuel pressure for a 98 ZJ should be between 44.2 and 54.2 psi.
RussellRowell

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure where the FPR is on a 98 but on a 94, it's attached to the fuel rail on the passenger side of engine.

If yours is like mine, I would first just change your FPR seals. There are 2 in mine and their 2 different sizes. I would also goto nappa. Better parts but thats my opinion. Dealership parts over priced. Good luck
NP249 / 5.2 / MB Motoring Rims/ 1500 watts
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Grand Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: