Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Leaking Oil!!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
trumpetman

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 3:20 pm    Post subject: Leaking Oil!! Reply with quote

I have a '94 Cherokee Sport 4WD Manual w/154,000 miles and have replaced the: valve cover gasket, valve stem seals, front crank seal, and e verything seemed great yesterday after replacing the valve stem seals and having the oil changed. All of these repairs were performed within the last year and under 12,000 miles. I woke up this morning with a puddle of oil on the ground that seemed to be coming from where the transmission meets the oil pan. It is not leaking from the oil filter or from the valve cover. It is noticealby damp w/oil and dripping from the area where the transmission meets the drivetrain (?). Any suggestions? Please help. Sad
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rear main seal. High mileage 4.0's (and lots of other motors for that matter) are notorious for it. It's not hard to change, more of a PITA since you have to drop the pan.

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Tardis

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those 2 piece seals suck. I've had plenty of Chevy motors with leaky 2 pc rear mains that were a pita to change.
I strongly recommend using Anaerobic Flange Sealant on the main cap when you reassemble it.
The Anaerobic sealant seals the main-cap to block surface, and cures without the presence of air.
The factory service manual also stresses this when you install a new seal.
I've been down this road, and if you don't use the sealant, the new seal "will" leak.
Most part stores carry it for around $4-$6.

lakeland713xj

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it aint a jeep if it dont leak Very Happy when i replaced my clutch i went ahead and did this you will prolly have to drop your trac bar and steering to get the pan out...atleast i did

6.5" rough county
33x12.50 toyo mts
Brad The Best

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

flange sealant is the shit .
94greenmachine

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to bring this up from the dead so to speak.My son is replacing the rebuilt tanny and the rear main seal is replaced but he says he thinks the seal is binding when he tries to turn the flywheel.It is an auto tranny. Anyone run into this and any tricks, questions or comments that would help? Really putting me in a bind. He works in a tranny shop, so he does alot of stuff and has a fair amount of knowledge.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Drivetrain All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: