Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A quick Saturday run in Oregon

View previous topic :: View next topic  
IBTJn

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 10:02 pm    Post subject: A quick Saturday run in Oregon Reply with quote

Well, a friend from L4J and I headed up to the TSF (Tillamook State Forest located in NW Oregon about 40 miles from the Oregon Coast) this morning as we got lots of rain yesterday and last night. For those who know the trails some, we warmed up with a quick run through Powerline. We were sort of suprised that the ground wasn't as saturated as we'd thought it would be. It was somewhat muddy, but nothing like we had expected. But my friend found a little spot where he found himself having to lock up.
(Los)

Then we stopped by Little Rubicon only to find a guy named Shane with a pretty nice Rubi (RE 5.5" LA, 35's, etc.) trying to make it up. As slick as it was, he was struggling to say the least. Don't think I've seen anyone hammer axles like he was, either! shock I thought for sure he was going to break an axle. Bouncing the front, hitting an instant stop...and the like! But he didn't, and backed off the trail (which I don't blame him).

(Shane on Lil' Rubicon)

Shane could have made it had he of winched. But I don't think he was into trying to drag his winch cable up to a tree as slick as it was. I busted my fanny a few times just trying to walk up there on a trail. I can make that trail when it's a bit dryer...locked of course (as can many) but most don't make it when it's this wet. So Shane decided to hang with us for a bit and go hit Canopener.

We were disappointed with Canopener. Unlike Little Rubi, it wasn't bad at all. Open diffs could have made it...and did. In another month or so, it'll be locked rigs only making it up. Here's Los coming up Canopener;

(Los)

We then scooted over to Waterfall to check it out. It was pouring down rain at that time, and Shane and Grant (his co-pilot) were in a hurry to get home...so they just flew up Waterfall, and I didn't get any pics of it.

So los and I headed back to Canopener to play some. Then headed over to Hogsback. Here are a couple pics of los and I coming up Hogsback. I made it the first time open, but needed to lock the second time with the line I chose.

(Los)

Me (IBTJn)

All in all, it was a fun day, and nothing broke. As I mentioned, it wasn't near as slick as we thought it would be in most places, and some of the normally hard trails were easy. But my guess is as the rain continues, the trails will get much harder.

Here is a pic of part of the forest from one of the roads, too. It doesn't justify how beautiful it really was in person...but sure gives a taste. Part of the mountain across the valley is obscured by the clouds. Was very cool!

Wink
sgt.pinkerton

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 8:12 pm    Post subject: I like it. Reply with quote

Ok, we live over in Eugene, wife and I are kinda getting tired of the same old trails around here...way too short. Do you have some good directions to the trails you posted pictures of? How about meetin' up and making a run soon?
We have a 1990 YJ, 4.2, 31's, 3" lift, nothing fancy.
IBTJn

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 6:02 am    Post subject: Re: I like it. Reply with quote

sgt.pinkerton wrote:
Ok, we live over in Eugene, wife and I are kinda getting tired of the same old trails around here...way too short. Do you have some good directions to the trails you posted pictures of? How about meetin' up and making a run soon?
We have a 1990 YJ, 4.2, 31's, 3" lift, nothing fancy.

Wow...how time flies! This run was 2 years ago. I had forgotten about it. Embarassed

Sure. Some of us are on Links4Jeeps too. I'm about due for another TSF (Tillamook State Forest) run here soon. Another one to try and hook up with is Rio. I think he's in school down in Corvallis right now. He's running a similar set up as yours and pretty much goes everywhere we do.

Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Events & Places All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: