Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2000 Jeep Cherokee Classic Oil leak??

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hella2

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 12:10 pm    Post subject: 2000 Jeep Cherokee Classic Oil leak?? Reply with quote

Ok I have a 2000 Jeep Cherokee Classic and I recently noticed it starting to leak oil. The car has 90,000 miles on it and the oil forms into drops on what I believe is the bell housing(its right behind the oil pan). The oil doesn not fall to the ground but forms into drops like its about to fall. I can not seem to locate the leak and any help would be apprecaited thanks.
88WOWJ

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 12:16 pm    Post subject: 2000 XJ oil leak Reply with quote

Sounds like a rear main seal. It should be a one piece seal.
Ask the dealer.
1991 Cherokee Limited
Hella2

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took for a spin after I got home today and I did notice oil on the bottom of the filter like the O-Rings are bad. I wiped it all down (the filter and bell housing) I just went out to check it and its starting to form on the bell housing again but not the oil filter. So I dont know if its both or just the one. I can not seem to find a trail of oil from the oil filter to the bell housing where gravity would help pull it down. When I have a light under it and I look towards the rear main seal I can see a reflection of light in a liquidly substance so im assuming its oil.
Hella2

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgot to add this was my brothers car before mine and he really didnt care for it like with the oil changes. Would this have anything to do with it? Also let me know on if you think its leaking from the filter and the rms or just one. Let me know. Thanks in advance
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Higher mileage engines are prone to rear main seal leaks. Fairly easy job...it's more of a PITA then anything else since you have to drop the pan.

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: