Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

RE Track Bar Drop Bracket Issues!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jppilot61

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 10:18 am    Post subject: RE Track Bar Drop Bracket Issues! Reply with quote

Afraid I have some serious issues to deal with!

I have historically had loosening issues with my XJ Track Bar Drop Bracket/Extreme-Duty Adjustable Trackbar (RE1665/RE1660).

I also have some serious clunking still happening which I have first incorrectly attributed to front shocks and installed BPE's which did nothing to correct problem. Now I believe to this to be worn-out bushings in my LCA's.

Now MUCH more serious is the cracking along the welds of the actual bracket and the bracket mounting location.

I am pretty sure I can remove the drop bracket and get it rewelded. I plan to also add the optional XJ Track Bar Bracket Brace (RE1670) which even RE states in their catalog:

"Designed to be used with the XJ drop track bar bracket to increase the rigidity of the driver's side unibody frame commonly prone to cracking"

Anything else I should be on look out for or any other suggestions?

I am also going to have to do something with sagging rear springs!

1992 XJ Laredo
RE6130 4.5" XJ Super-Flex Kit
RE1801 Slip Yoke Eliminator Kit NP231
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would also look around the steering box for signs of cracking. If you are going for the trackbar brace, you should also go for either a steering box brace, reinforcement plates ot both.

This is a pic of the brace under mine:

As far as the cracking you've already got around the bracket, we should be able to reinforce and weld all that up this winter sometime. Have welder, will travel. Mr. Green

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
jppilot61

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will likely just order a new drop bracket for $85 when I order the $80 brace.

That way I can bolt back on at my convenience.

I will likely take you up on welder later on for LCA Skids.

I figure when I tear all apart, I will do it all. (Steering and possibly stronger axle shafts, I am leery of my axle U-Joints anyway).

I want to start soon those as these things tend to always take longer than planned.

I have the steering gear box off of 61 CJ-5.

I was planning to get it fixed first then BOOT it out of my side of garage so I could begin work on XJ but managed to go ahead and manhandle it out of garage under its own power but with no steering wheel or box. Was a struggle to park it where I wanted it!!!

I will probably go ahead park XJ in garage, put it on lifts. Remove LCA and replace Bushings (I have those now).

I hope once its on jackstands I can tell what the knocking is?

1992 XJ Laredo
RE6130 4.5" XJ Super-Flex Kit
RE1801 Slip Yoke Eliminator Kit NP231

Last edited by jppilot61 on Sun Oct 28, 2007 2:54 am; edited 1 time in total
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was talking about bracing up and welding those two cracks above where the bracket mounts to...it would be a lot easier to do with that bracket off and out of the way. At the same time, we can weld that forward nut in place so it's a lot easier to get (and keep) the bolt tight.

As far as the steering, this is what I'm currently running. It'll cost about the same as just putting stock XJ parts back in and it has some added strength. Something else we can look into is is going with aftermarket setups (Rusty's, Currie, etc)...we'll talk tomorrow. Wink

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: