Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

going diesel

View previous topic :: View next topic  
lakeland713xj

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 10:35 am    Post subject: going diesel Reply with quote

what diesel engines with decent HP and TQ numbers would fit in the cherokee i kinda just want to open the question because a diesel fasinates the bajeebers outta me

6.5" rough county
33x12.50 toyo mts

Last edited by lakeland713xj on Tue Oct 30, 2007 3:58 pm; edited 3 times in total
Brad The Best

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

a cummins 4BT would be the engine of choice , marine version preferably .

or wait till 2009 and buy the new duramax for 1/2 tonnes .

403 duramax , or 6bt cummins would also work . but its gonna be heavy .

i have seen cherokee's with 502's , so a diesel isn't impossible .

however a 4bt weighs 750lbs , while a 302 weighs about 500 pounds .

if i was to swap a diesel into a Cherokee i would put in a 4bt because you can hook it up to a 700R4 . the power numbers look low but you can see 400 horse out of one if you want .

only other option i would look at is the duramax because of the aluminum heads . however you will have to take that huge Allison i think .

honestly wouldn't put a diesel in a Cherokee unless it had a full role cage and a ridiculous amount of reinforcement . it would rip it apart .

cummins is also coming out with a new v6 for jeeps .

don't forget you need a air to air and a way bigger rad . plus a different brake booster (full hydraulic) a 4" exhaust might be a little big in a Cherokee.

none of these are even close to bolt in. and if you don't know diesels i wouldn't even bother .

i recently found a 4bt from cummins for 4k , with 6000 hours on it .

Last edited by Brad The Best on Mon Oct 29, 2007 9:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Toliver09

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ive seen the 5 cylinder diesels from the old mercedes 300D's work. You'd have to have some adapters made up to match up the tcase and what not though
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Code3TJ
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try to make your subject a little more descriptive than "q"
lakeland713xj

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my my buddy rick and his dad have bilt a couple jeeps and right now he has a CJ8 scrambler with a cummins 4bt on the 700R4 with a dana 300 twin stick on built dana 60's kind of cool to see it when it starts it sounds like a busted oll 304but then he gets on it it pours smoke turbo's scream and can light up 38.5 thornbirds (i know who puts that kind of money into a cj and runs thornbirds) its kind of cool but could you find an old renualt or puegot desiel thats made for cherokees?

by the way i think he is getting rid of the scambler ill ask him whats hes trying to get for it and post it tool

6.5" rough county
33x12.50 toyo mts
lakeland713xj

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah im just curious ive seen them and i like diesel....and my 4.0 has already broken u bolt staps so im not really in the need for something like that untill i got currie rock jock 60's but thats another tread lol

6.5" rough county
33x12.50 toyo mts
Brad The Best

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the little renualt or puegot engines wont yeild alot of power and i don't think anyone really messes around with them . ( all i know is equipment i don't know jack about these engines , but since they aren't industrial grade im going to write them off as week )

toyota diesel perhaps . also a slug .

people hardly even modify 4bt's , but its the only engine i would really go with for a jeep .

personally i would keep the 4.0 gas engine , or get a 4bt .

there are the renault diesels for cherokee's but your 4.0 puts out more power . have fun modifying it , im pretty sure you would be the first . a Toyota is a better idea then a Renault .

so why do you want a diesel ? don't say because they don't stall . they stall , they stall lots . i have seen 16L diesels stall . its just harder to stall .
lakeland713xj

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

because the wow factor...and the fact of diffrence....every cherokee you see lifted people who know anything about jeeps will say thats a sweet cherokee...i want people who dont kno jack about cars to look at my jeep and say thats a bad Jeep-thats mainly why

6.5" rough county
33x12.50 toyo mts
Brad The Best

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well im glad to hear that . i still think a 4bt would be sweet . a diesel that came in cherokee's wont create the wow factor . a 4bt will create the wow . and the twisting of the uni-body muahahaha .

i really still think the 4bt is the best choice , but keep looking around .
ehall

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got curious and was looking for info and found http://www.jeep2diesel.org/ which seems to be a good starting point
Brad The Best

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ehall wrote:
I got curious and was looking for info and found http://www.jeep2diesel.org/ which seems to be a good starting point

that volvo they put in a cj is a good engine . i didn't know you could hook them up to a t18 . i only seen them in equipment . p.s volvo makes a good diesel , or at least they do now . i used to work for volvo .
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: