Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

noise at startup

View previous topic :: View next topic  
adamzski

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 8:35 pm    Post subject: noise at startup Reply with quote

i have a 99 Cherokee XJ with the 4.0, with 90K and when i start it dry there is a fairly loud wrapping or knocking noise coming from the motor, that goes away after a minute or two. it doesnt do it every time, and usually only its hot, when i first start it in the morning it rarely does it. i am thinking that there is a lifter or two that is leaking oil, and it just runs dry for a bit until the engine gets oil in the top end?, i keep excellent maintenance of this jeep and dont drive it like a race car. has anyone else had or heard of this problem with the 4.0L's ? i run Quaker State Torque Power full synthetic 10W-30, ive tried the 10-40 and it made no difference, also i heard its a bad viscosity to choose, to i leaned away from it. thanks for any help

-------------------------------------------------------------
99 Cherokee XJ
AX15 5-speed
Dynomax Exhaust
K&N Intake
Jet Performance chip
BF Mud Kings
Kenwood head unit, Infinity Reference series speaks, Pioneer subs with Alpine amp
too many lights to name
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
lakeland713xj

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds like your liftersa arnt getting ooil...problem i had with my parents 02 blazer..and im running a pretty high visocity to keep my oil pressure up

6.5" rough county
33x12.50 toyo mts
Toliver09

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

could be bad anything in the valvetrain... quakerstate and pennzoil both use plastic polymers in their oils.. at least the lower weight ones. I'm a firm believer in castrol B)
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
lakeland713xj

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it cant hurt to try and its always something good to do get a hi flow oil pump from your local autoparts store and while your at it replace your rear main seal and all that good stuff

6.5" rough county
33x12.50 toyo mts
Brad The Best

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

get a master gauge and put it on the test port and see if your oil pressure is with in spec before you go getting a new oil pump .

i would remove the valve cover before the oil pan . does it sound like it comes from the back or front .

you could always remove the cover and run it to try and figure out what lifter it is . if that is indeed it .

weird none of my 4.0's do this , i run the crappyest oil i can buy . just went over 300 000 km on one , the other has 180 , the block in my garage has 300 000 miles and it ran fine .

sure its valve train ? checked exhaust manifold gasket and such . don't know why it would only do it some times but hey , only takes a second.

hard to say with out hearing it .
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: