Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

replacement seats

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ehall

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 2:10 pm    Post subject: replacement seats Reply with quote

The front seats on the 91 Laredo that I'm working to make road safe have been destroyed over time. The seat frames were welded down once (or maybe twice) after the base broke. The reclining mechanism does not work--the driver's seat does not come to the fully upright position. The electric position controls only half work, usually don't work at with somebody in the seat (the motor just makes a buzzing/grinding noise like the clutch is worn out).

All told I need to get new seats in this thing.

I looked on 4wheelparts but could not really make sense of my options. I need to replace the whole seat and motor assembly, and would like to reuse my existing mounting brackets that are welded down. Alternatively I could replace the seats with manual ones and just disconnect the power I guess. I need to replace both front seats so matching the fabric is not a big deal, although I would like to get the light-grey color right. Any ideas?

Last edited by ehall on Wed Oct 31, 2007 6:50 am; edited 1 time in total
lakeland713xj

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you wheel it you could go ahead and EBAY some corbeau ive seen the reclining suspension on there for 200 for the pair...i want some but i need to get tires and a locker first

6.5" rough county
33x12.50 toyo mts
ehall

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a foul-weather vehicle, the closest I get to off-roading is shortcutting across a farm.

I'm plotting out a Grand Cherokee for the real deal.
lakeland713xj

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh....well honestly replacement seats and brackets are probably just expensice and the racing ones

6.5" rough county
33x12.50 toyo mts
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boneyard...you can probably get full seat assemblies with brackets for fairly cheap...if you find a pick and pull, it would be even cheaper. I think Quadratec sells replacement seats for XJ's, but they are kind of pricey. The only other option for a direct fit is the dealer....before you ask them for a price just drop your pants and bend over...you're gonna get raped.

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ehall

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually I already checked the local Jeep yard and all the cherokees are missing the drivers seat--the guys at the yard say they go pretty quick. I may try the guys at Ranchero again but they were pretty expensive for the last request, and I don't have a very good history with cross-country salvage yards.

Quadratec ony has the Mastercraft hot-rod seats. 4wheelparts has those plus Bestop and Smittybilt but when I look at the specs and manufacturer sites those are all for CJ and Wrangler (4wheelparts says XJ too but I don't trust them too far). Maybe they fit maybe not, and no idea if I can reuse the brackets.

eBay thinks I want to buy seat covers... I did find this guy but he is only offering passenger side seats.
2bucks

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where do you live? I have both front seats in an '89 XJ that is
slated for the crusher soon. I live in mid-western New Hampshire.
ehall

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in southern Maryland, not far at all. Send me a PM with contact info.
ehall

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought I'd post an update to my discovery process here.

The seats consist of a base, a motor, and then there is the seat itself. Corbeau makes Wrangler seats but has an XJ converter bracket that I *think* will fit on the power seat mounts. Their cheapo seats (the "Sport") is about $320 in cloth and the converter is another $100 or so, which is way more than I want to spend on this beater XJ but it's reasonable amount if they will hold together, which I expect they should.

The existing seat base stands will have to be kept or I will have to get new ones fabricated at a metal shop. It turns out that they were not welded down but instead were welded together and that is apparently a pretty common problem and solution. The local Jeep dealer says they are not left-right interchangeable and a replacement is $1300 (NO SHIT), and given that they fail so badly I'm not in the mood to buy new even if it was $13... so I will inspect and get new ones fabricated if needed.

The driver's side seat motor is shot (the clutches slip and make a grinding noise), but the passenger side is fine, and according to the local Jeep dealership they are interchangeable so I can probably grab one from a passenger seat at the junkyard and use it in the driver's side.

I have to fix a roof leak before I do any of this but wanted to post a follow up while it was all still fresh in my head.
djgrayxj

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seat Replacement in 93 Cherokee.
Question from koltonv On Fri Feb 16, 2007
I have a 93 Cherokee and the seats are trashed. Does anyone know if the seats from a grand Cherokee will fit?

Answer from rix
This swap was from a 95 Cherokee sport and the seats were from a 99 J Grand Cherokee. The front seats were easy, just switch the bottom track bracket so you end up with the Cherokee brackets on the grand Cherokee seats. There are no holes to drill it just bolts on. The back seats are a bit trickier. From the old rear seat you need to take off the side brackets that has the rod that goes into the rocker panel, the grand Cherokee rear seat is usually a 60/40-split seat. Fit the bottom outside edge of the new seats with the side bracket taken off the old seats. It takes a bit of imagination but it can be done. You can attach these with a pop rivet gun. Now you have them secured in the original side holes. If you take the brackets off the bottom of the grand Cherokee seat and reinstall one of the brackets on each seat, closest to the center of the seats, backwards it will prevent the seat from sliding forward in the middle. The back of the seat is fairly easy to line up and drill holes for the end and middle brackets of the grand Cherokee seat. Make sure that the seats you buy have that center bracket for back of the rear seat or the seats won't work. You will lose some room in the back and the front seats will be a tad bit higher but it is worth the effort if you are buying the seats at the right price.

Web Sight for above
http://www.jeephorizons.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=10798&highlight=seat+replacement
ehall

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are the ZJ seats better made than the XJ seats? It's worth money not to keep replacing seats that blow out every few years.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: