Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Question on 1999 V8 Life Expectancy

View previous topic :: View next topic  
stevenm357

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 9:40 pm    Post subject: Question on 1999 V8 Life Expectancy Reply with quote

I have been lurking, but have recently found a local 1999 Grand Cherokee Limited locally.

it's appears in perfect condition except for one minor ding. (pole to rear bumper corner) It has 98,000 I've had a couple of local mechanics that i wanted to stay away from the V8's because they didn't last as long as the 4.0L I6.

I know the tranny's are different which they said they were the same. They are asking $7,500 which i feel is a little steep.

Thanks in advance.

(soon to be jeeper)
lakeland713xj

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i cant dogg the V8 ive never owned one personally.. but when i was lookin for a jeep i test drove one it was a 98 and it seemed to be quick and powerful...i never read anything bad about them so im not the one tol tell you that...i kno you can super charge them and get some mean power but i will say one thing about the price...7500 could be a good price if its fully load 4x4 with a perfect interior and low miles with the only body damage this small dent you mention im sure you can get them down to atleast 5 tell them what your willing to offer...say 3500 cash and they will prolly come down to 5000...just point out little things that could be big my opinion

6.5" rough county
33x12.50 toyo mts
drew42

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I for one do own an V-8 and nothing has happened so far to the engine (knock on wood ). Lakeland gave you the best advice on the truck but use your best judgement for the end result . If you do get the truck welcome to the club . Wink
stevenm357

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys.

My biggest worry is transmission troubles and the engine longevity. How many miles on your V8?
lakeland713xj

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

another thing you might already kno but crawl under it aand it if looks likes there are oil stain on the diff t case tranny engine or anything state the fact thats its gonna be the price of the 20 dollar gasket plus the labor thats another 500 dllars they might not kno a jeep will run 300000 miles but say listen it has 100,000 miles it might need a rebuild in20,000 and labor aint cheap anything thats wrong weather you can fix it your self or not state that labor aint cheap...they price will plummit...just a tip and they might get it fixed before you buy it so you might win out...just state all problems big or not....

6.5" rough county
33x12.50 toyo mts
RussellRowell

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 94 5.2 has 280K on her. It doesn't have all the power it use to. But it's still going. Doesn't smoke either. But eats a quart a week. I think my plenium gasket is bad. I bought my jeep with 48k on her. Did a 100k mile service myself to her. And since, have changed the oil religously every 3k for the last 10 years (walmart super tech full synthetic). Maintenance is the key here ladies and gents. No in shop work on the engine as well. Oh, almost blew it up once with an overheating problem. Was knocking like crazy before I shut her down. Stealership reset the timing in her and I have changed the water pump 3 x's. I can't knock the 5.2 V8's. Mine has held up amazingly. And I'm not to easy on her either.
NP249 / 5.2 / MB Motoring Rims/ 1500 watts
ZJ_In_Texas

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Twisted Evil I have a 5.2 with 219000 and shes still running hard lol. Twisted Evil
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Grand Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: