Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Flushing your Jeep's radiator

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jwheel3669

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 5:36 pm    Post subject: Flushing your Jeep's radiator Reply with quote

I've got a 2001 Cherokee 4.0 and cannot find the radiator drain plug in order to properly flush the system. I read that the plug is at the bottom of the radiator on the passenger side. Not on mine. Any help? Thanks.
Orangeamc13
Got Rev Limiter?
Got Rev Limiter?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's there!
cherokee94

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

as said above its on the left hand side of the radiator at the bottom as you stand in front of the jeep.

bit of advice if its an old radiator that bottom plug maybe seized in the ends are brass if u try turning it, it will just bend.

solution maybe to pull of the bottom rad hose and the top one and flush it that way.
TheBrat97

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take off the passenger side headlight bezel and turn signal and you should see it.
Toliver09

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheBrat97 wrote:
Take off the passenger side headlight bezel and turn signal and you should see it.

thats on wagoneer models only
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
adamzski

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 7:05 pm    Post subject: re: petcock location Reply with quote

yea, i just did it on my 99 Cherokee, and it is where everyone says it is, on the bottom passengers side, you have to take the turn signal out, and its helpful to get the headlight out too, although i didnt bother cause all my screws are stripped. its not easy to get at tho, ill tell ya, there is a nipple fitting on it, i highly advise taking off the front skid plate if you have one, and putting a hose on it for the coolant to drain out of, otherwise it will go everywhere, its worth the little work to save the mess, its all plastic, so u dont have to worry about anything being seized or whatever, also, the drain plug does not come all the way out, so dont worry about droppin it. also as a helpful hint, after you get it opened up, put your radiator cap back on, take the hose off the overflow resovior, and blow some compressed air through it to flush out some more coolant. feel free to let me kno if u got any more questions.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
cherokee94

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

depends on how old your cherokee radiator is.......... ive just replaced mine and the drain plug was metal with brass lugs,it was seized in.

the plastic drain valves which my new radiator has are aftermarket radiators not oem parts.

also i can only speak for cherokees upto 97 as after that they where face lifted and it may well be radiators with plastic drains where used.

my haynes repair manual shows it as a metal bleed plug.
Drake69

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I did mine, we put down a lot of big drop pans and pulled out the bottom radiator hose, followed by the thermostat and upper hose. Once the radiator had dripped itself out, we took a hose and flushed out the remaining antifreeze until it was clear. The gunk that was in it was amazing (How did a LEAF get in there, and where's the rest of the tree?!?!?! rofl ).

TheBrat97

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toliver09 wrote:
TheBrat97 wrote:

thats on wagoneer models only

no it's not, that's how i do mine everytime i drain my radiator.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: