Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

pulling my engine and need help

View previous topic :: View next topic  
b_radley_05

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 4:57 pm    Post subject: pulling my engine and need help Reply with quote

hey its me again. ok i have a 90 jeep cherokee 4.0 automatic. and i am pulling the engine i almost have it out but i cant get to some of the bolts on the bell housing. so my questions are how many bolts are there, is there a way to get to them, or do i have to pull the tranny with it? all the help i can get would be great thanks!!!
Tardis

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are 4 trans-motor bolts, the rest are for the inspection cover. The 2 top bolts are "E-12" socket (external torx) the bottom 2 are 18mm bolts. Pull all of the crap away from the cylinder head, take the motor mount bolts out, and drop the motor down on it's mounts to access the two top E-bolts. Sneak a long extension, and ball-swivel in on the E-12 bolt. You'll need a helper in the engine compartment for this. The alternative to the E socket is to use a 12 point wrench, I think it's 11mm or 7/16, to remove the E-bolts. Once you have the E-bolts out throw them away and get real bolts with real bolt-heads. That will make re-assembly much much easier.

BTW, make sure you support the trans with a chain, floor jack, or block of wood before removing the engine.
lakeland713xj

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

when i did mine and had a jack at the back of the t case and slowy lowed it down unitll i could access them it just takes time....and dont strip those bolts liike i did...it will tkae about 3 hours to slowy grind the heads of so you can get the tranny out

6.5" rough county
33x12.50 toyo mts
b_radley_05

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 12:50 pm    Post subject: that suck Reply with quote

i alread stripped the bolts i guess i am going to be busy for a few hours thanks for the help i am glad i dont have to pull the trany
lakeland713xj

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just get a really good pnuematic bur grinder and slowly grind them off...i dont know if you can pull the whole engine tranny and tcase thru the engine bay but if you can it would be alot better if you could do it while its on the ground

6.5" rough county
33x12.50 toyo mts
Brad The Best

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you could pull it as a unit if you took the rad and grill out . i did once .

ya those external torx's are a pain in the ass make sure to replace them with some normal metric cap screws . stupid jeep .
b_radley_05

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 5:26 pm    Post subject: ok Reply with quote

ok thanks guys i will let you know how it goes
lakeland713xj

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just be carful either way with that bur grinder and dont tag your aluminum housing...if you kno someone good with a plasma or oxygen actelyn (sp?) torch they can cut them out with out any damage with out even touching the bell housing...

6.5" rough county
33x12.50 toyo mts
Brad The Best

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

or you could of just welded some nuts or a bolt on top of the head and taken it out with a wrench .

another thing that works is to take the bolts that hold the tow hooks down on a tj and weld a nut on them they are the same size as those bolts .

another method would be right hand drill bits or easy outs , or a pair of vice grips .
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: