Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

93 Jeep Grand Cherokee with TOYOTA transmission!

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
EYESIC

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 2:53 pm    Post subject: 93 Jeep Grand Cherokee with TOYOTA transmission! Reply with quote

Today i was changing the u joints on my Jeep and i had a friend help me out. when he got under the car He notices that i had a Toyota Transmission, he said only some 1993 JGC had this transmission. He made sure by checking if i had an OD button somewhere on the dash or steering. He said it was better than the Chrystler transmission for racing purposes or something. Hes mexican so he said something about "Palankiar" which means "shifting" in spanish. anywho he said only to do this offroading...because if i do it on the streets ill mess up the U joints and differential.

Put the car in neutral rev it to 3000 then when it turns gren shift it to 1 then tap it to 2 and use 3 when your engine asks for it ... he said this will give me a speed burst. He said that toyota transmissions allow this.

does anyone know the truth behind all this...

i dont know if you race cherokees but here in arizona ZJ's and Xj's are more common than cactus. Seriously every other house has a cherokee in my city Most of the time the Squared Cherokee beats the Grand because of weight diffrences and well same engines.

sorry bout the long post. i was just curious.
Brad The Best

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 93 Jeep Grand Cherokee with TOYOTA transmission! Reply with quote

EYESIC wrote:

Put the car in neutral rev it to 3000 then when it turns gren shift it to 1 then tap it to 2 and use 3 when your engine asks for it ... he said this will give me a speed burst. He said that toyota transmissions allow this.

does anyone know the truth behind all this...

sorry bout the long post. i was just curious.

start with what engine you have and what tranny you have . i don't own a grand or know much about them so ....

you could rev any engine to 3 grand and drop it into 1st and shift it up manually . its just less economical and stupid . you don't drop it into gear from neutral you load it up in first gear by putting on the brake and then letting go of the brake at the right rpm depending on your converter stall rpm .

basically you could do this with a normal auto tranny or manual tranny no problem its just not good for it . its also not good for a toyota tranny . neutral drops just aren't good . there cool but you do them to your friends vehicle or a rental .

good way to tell if you actually have a toyota tranny is to find the serial number and look for the word toyota . i don't see jeep putting a yota tranny in a jeep .

u joints might be under more stress , and none of your drive line likes a 3 grand neutral drop .

if you don't believe me go do it alot off road or not . eventually your planetary's or something else expensive will blow apart .

you should have one of these trannys

42RE: 4 spd. automatic transmission used in 1993 to 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokees with 4.0L engines.

46RH: 4 spd. automatic transmission used in 1993 to 1995 Jeep Grand Cherokees with 5.2L engines

AX-15 5 spd. manual transmission used in 1993 - 94 Jeep Grand Cherokees with 4.0L engines.

if its a factory install .

i could be wrong but by him telling you to go do neutral drops im thinking he doesn't know jack . and to my knowledge the only thing toyota made that was any good was axles .

and a speed burst has to come from the engine , you would loose torque to go faster OD or your engine would rev up to produce more power .
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

????????????????? Never heard anything about a toyota tranny.. But then again never heard of a tranny that "allowed " neutral drops ..

In fact I can tell you that doing neutral drops will absolutly damage something.. Ujoints, rear axles, something... When I was a younger fella.. I did a neutral drop at a red light and spit the spider gears right out of the diff housing..

It sucked pretty bad since I was doing it to show off for some hotties.. rofl rofl

As far as Toyota tranny .. ... I dont know.. As far as I know 4.0 only came with 42RE and 5.2 came with 46RH..

If you had a manual tranny you could have AX15 but you would have mentioned that you had a manual..

Soooooo... Anyway... Post up a picture of your tranny or any numbers or symbols you can see on it.. Or for that matter .. Your vin number and I can tell you what tranny came in your Jeep..

Good luck..

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
EYESIC

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 3:27 pm    Post subject: Its an Automatic Reply with quote

The Transmission is Automatic, and i was talking to some people at work and theyve all told me the same thing, to only do neutral drops if i have the toyota tranny on my 93. Once i get home ill take a pic of the tranny so you guys can take a look at it.
EYESIC

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 2:47 pm    Post subject: vin Reply with quote

hey swampy heres my vin check it out.

1J4GZ58S3PC104704

EVERYONE SAYS ITS TOYOTA
DankNesS

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think you might be missing the point.... even if for some crazy arse reason you did get the lucky shiney tranny from yota that can take a Nuetral bomb repeatedly with out any problems, your driveline CANT. like swampy found out the hard way just cus your tranny can take it doesnt mean everything else can.

i really think your being fed garbage. i have a 93 limited gc with ALL the bells and whistles that was offered. 3.73's Limited Slip tow pk step sides all the skid plates. if there was a better tranny for an option im sure id have it..... especially since the 5.2 would make a lot more sense to race since i came stock with 220 hp to your 190.
good luck! id love to be wrong tho... how wierd it would be to find that jeeps came with toy trannys
berk9

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

in his credit he did say to only drop the trany when he was offroad... i think hed be ok if he did have this magical toy trany doing drops offroad as long as he didnt have....BAJA CLAWS!!!!!..... lol just messing. but really ive never heard of this b4 either. cant wait to hear what it is
1fox2go

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the aw4 trans was used in toyotas, it was also used in the first year grands with the I6, and for those lucky cherokee owners they got the aw4 as well, pretty tough trans but a really huge pain to rebuild

dankness just because your jeep has all the bells and whistles doesnt mean you get all the good stuff, that aw4 was only for the I6s since you have a v8 you are excluded

racing a jeep is dumb, neutral dropping is dumb. I know, did it unintentionally, and broke a front ujoint. So yea just beacuse the trans can take it doesnt mean the driveline can unless you beef it up, but then you have to think, wheres the weakest point after you upgrade?

Last edited by 1fox2go on Tue Nov 13, 2007 8:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
berk9

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fox your such an ass....im about to come over to your place and steel the hell out of your xbox360/halo3/medal of honor 4 and your built motor. did you ask the mad scientist that or did you just know
1fox2go

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know I'm an ass but that post was a bit arrogant to me. And I knew that. Mallcrawlin has all kind of people swapping their 42re's for aw4's, the big problem is the computer to control it

As for knowing that toyota using it I saw that on NAXJA some where, comes it the supras I believe it was

You misspelled steal, I dont have halo 3, or medal of honor 4, its call of duty and if you think you can make it down the driveway this late at nite without being fired upon be my guest, haha

Last edited by 1fox2go on Tue Nov 13, 2007 8:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
1fox2go

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The AW4 is Aisin warner by the way
Code3TJ
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swamp boy wrote:
When I was a younger fella.. I did a neutral drop at a red light and spit the spider gears right out of the diff housing..

It sucked pretty bad since I was doing it to show off for some hotties.. rofl rofl

Funny, I have an almost identical story. rofl
EYESIC

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 3:55 pm    Post subject: aisin warner Reply with quote

aisin warner just provides transmissions for almost every toyota.. i think the companies are related somehow... a cousin of an aunt.. hahaha j/k but yea it sort of makes it a toyota transmission even though its not... since those transmissions are in almost all yotas
Brad The Best

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if its a asain aw4 , i wouldn't go neutral dropping it , and is that switch perhaps for the electronic lock up converter , not a magical neutral drop switch .

the asain aw4 is made out of rice . it can take some shock because its an automatic , the torque converter takes alot of the shock and planetary gear sets are pretty tough , you can still of course snap your output shaft or rip your planets out .

i was under the impression the aw4 was only in the xj . i guess i was wrong .
DankNesS

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sweet... learn something all the time!

i sure am sorry if I came off arrogant fox i hope i didnt upset you. i of course bought my jeep used for pretty cheap but the first owner got all the bells and whistles so if it was an option (but you so graciously pointed out that it isnt) he would have got it. im not sure what makes the aw4 tranny so good but im happy with my 46RH. i wouldnt trade my v8 for a toy tranny any day!@- o sorry i meant aisin or what ever Mr. Green
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Grand Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: