Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How to get better Articulation out of my YJ

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheRo0sTer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 8:19 am    Post subject: How to get better Articulation out of my YJ Reply with quote

I love my YJ!!! I love the Straight 6 HO and I love the Sq headlights! What I don't love it the lack of Articulation. My Black Diamond suspesion is stiff as all get out. Places a stock TJ went I had to readdress a few times.

So I am basically weighing my options vs paying $2-3K for coil spring conversion and options to make it work. Or figure out how to get my Stiff suspension to relax and articulate.

Last edited by TheRo0sTer on Thu Nov 15, 2007 5:15 am; edited 1 time in total
Orangeamc13
Got Rev Limiter?
Got Rev Limiter?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could you snap a pic of you springs and shackles? Do you disconnect the sway bar? Do you have a track bar? How are the shocks, are they long enough?
TheRo0sTer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shackles in the front point // looking at them from the passenger side. Shocks were the shocks that came with the kit. This last time I didn't disconnect because I was lazy, but have plans for QD's so laziness isn't an excuse! Track bar since I'm new to my Jeep one can only guess this isn't standard if you are asking. By looking how do I know if I have one. I can poke my head in there after the answer is given. Wink

Orange you da man and I suspect you are going to help me with articulation. My ride is rough a riding a concrete skateboard with brick wheels. Razz
Orangeamc13
Got Rev Limiter?
Got Rev Limiter?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If looking from the passenger side the shackles should be facing \\ , basically the bottom of the shackle leans forward. If the shackle leans back or is straight up and down there's limited movement.

From the passenger side the rear shackles should be facing // .

Trackbars do come standard on YJ's and can restrict flex. IMO they are not needed if the vehicle is equipped with leaf springs.

TheRo0sTer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I meant \\ front and // rear from the passenger side. Can that trackbar be made QD for trail rides? How much will tire pressure play? Going down to say 15lbs would that help matters? Mostly for traction since I have little articulation.
Orangeamc13
Got Rev Limiter?
Got Rev Limiter?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ditch the trackbar! Airing down won't help with articulation, but like you said, traction would be increased. Let's see some pics! Smile
TheRo0sTer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well after I got off work I noticed my rear shackles are more like || than //. I have a feeling the PO bought it for a hardtop with rear tire, now it has a soft top without the tire for a few more weeks. How do I fix the shackle issue? Any benefits from the banana or boomerang shackles? Sorry I dont have any sitting flat.

Orangeamc13
Got Rev Limiter?
Got Rev Limiter?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What happens is the lift springs are the same overall length, but have more arch. This pulls the shackles in. Boomerang shackles would be good, but you'll need longer shackles to fix the problem. If you get the boomerangs the same length as you currently have, you'll still have the same issue. I would go for a 1 - 1 1/2" lift boomerang style.
How high is your current lift, 3" ?

TheRo0sTer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

3.5"
Orangeamc13
Got Rev Limiter?
Got Rev Limiter?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does it have a rear swaybar? If so remove that along with the trackbars. Get some front disco's and new shackles. After that the Jeep should flex like Arnold! Wink
silvergoat

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just go with a long arm kit and never look back.
TheRo0sTer

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How is it on the street? I use my Jeep for daily driving.
silvergoat

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheRo0sTer wrote:
How is it on the street? I use my Jeep for daily driving.

This jeep belongs to a friend of mine so I know first hand how well it performs on the street. My TJ cant keep up with him in the corners and it rides super smooth at any speed.
rangerpaul

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Rooster,

I've got an 87 yj and faced some of the same issues. I ditched the track bars both front and rear and added disconnects to the anti sway bar. I have really skinny tires and both axles are locked so it drove really squirrelly on the street, but the articulation improved immediately and markedly. For street/ trail use you can get telescoping track bars that you loosen for the trail and tighten for the road. With that and anti-swaybar quick disconnects you get the best of both worlds. I've not tried the Black Diamond springs, but they advertise having a light spring rate. That should equate to good flex. I run Skyjacker Softride 4" packs. They are very flexy. I also run shackles that provide 1.5" of lift. I have regular style in the front and boomerangs in the rear. I also make sure that the shackle bolts (all three on each spring) are just tight enough so that the bolt will still spin when I turn the nut (nylock nuts are a must for this) but tight enough to not come loose. Another trick is to spread the steel clamps that hold the packs together a little. That will give them some move.

If you look closely at my front axle in this picture, you'll see that the passenger side spring is nearly flat as it stuffs up into the wheel well. Look at how the the shackle angles forward to allow the spring to lengthen as it flattens. Then look at the drivers side and you'll see the opposite thing, as the spring arches to allow the tire to droop, the shackle moves rearward to allow the spring to shorten.

Like you I used the shocks that came with the lift and that is causing some limitation on the droop. When the current shock wear out, I'll measure for the replacements with the rig at full flex with no shocks installed. Then I'll look for the shock that best fits the amount of travel I want.

These are all pretty inexpensive tricks you can try before you drop a bundle re-engineering your suspension.

Hope it helps.
kygreenyj

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ditch the sway bars and trac bars (front an rear). Boomerangs rear and longer shackles in the front will help. I have revolvers and they will really help with the articulation, just make sure to get long SS brake lines and think about relocating your diff breather hoses (maybe lengthening them). I have a BDS lift witch is probably as stiff as your Black diamond, and maybe 6 years after getting the lift i feel like i should maybe make some sway bar QD's, so you should be fine with out sway bars till your springs loosen up. Also if you have the three inch lift, get an SYE/CV kit, 1 in BL and 1 in MML, and you'll be pretty well set. Just some suggestions, Its what I run, and if my jeep wasn't a rust bucket I would feel extremely comfortable with it on the trail.

06 Ford Escape Hybrid

03 KLR 650
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> YJ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: