Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Siping or Grooving BFG MT's

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Whats the best bet for BFG MT's?
Groove them
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Sipe them
57%
 57%  [ 4 ]
Leave them the way the tire experts at BFG made them
42%
 42%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 7

hustler

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 8:36 pm    Post subject: Siping or Grooving BFG MT's Reply with quote

Hello

I ordered some new 32x11" BFG MT's, and theyre supposed to be on my Jeep in a week. Ive looked around, and with winter coming I think that either some grooving or siping is a good idea, because the tires dont have any at all from the factory.

I've googled it a few different ways and came up with a few sites that recommended either using a modified utility knife or a heated groover/siper. Has anyone tried using either? Suggestions on technique or patterns? Should I even bother? Some early winters can be pretty icy here, and since I live in the country I drive on a lot of packed snow. The trails here dont have a lot of rock crawling, more mud than anything.

Thanks,
Brett
Orangeamc13
Got Rev Limiter?
Got Rev Limiter?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine have always worked fine on any terrain, in any weather, just the way they came!
(Off Topic)I heard that when they release the new KM2's in the smaller sizes they will be discontinuing the original KM's, I think that's in September.

quadna71

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

grooving and siping will both produce completely different results and handling characteristics. i think that siping is what you are looking for to improve on-road driving in snow. i'd take it to to a shop and have them sipe them with a siping machine. it will make uniform grooves across all but the outer 1/2" of the outer lugs to keep that part from chunking off when off-roading.

grooving will take material away and will affect the off-road characteristics - such as rock-gripping and mud cleaning abilities. oh, i have heard of people using a utility knife with mixed results. the negative results were from people slowly drawing the blade across the lug and when it it unexpectedly slid through the edge of a lug it dropped down and put a nice gash on the smooth section between the lugs - that slice opens right up like a gash on your arm. so yeah, try and find a local siper and have them done - usually only $5-$10 per tire.
chris (from experience - usually sipes all his tires for the positive snow/rain handling improvement)
Code3TJ
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the conditions you described you'll be driving in, I also vote for siping. Wink
hustler

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the suggestions - I think I should look for a local tire shop with a siping machine.

Last thing I want is a gash in my tire ...
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Suspension, Steering & Tires All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: