Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Trying to save gas...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheBrat97

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 12:53 am    Post subject: Trying to save gas... Reply with quote

This is probably a stupid question, but what are some of the possible consequences if I were to disconnect a fuel injector or two and run it like that for awhile?
kaos

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, hopefully somebody with more expertise will chime in, but here is what I think would happen:

1. Horribly uneven running, possibly bad enough that the car wouldn't idle. In effect, the engine would be missing on one or two cylinders.
2. The "unused" cylinders would pump great quantities of air into the exhaust system, leading to:
3. The O2 sensor would read "lean", leading the ECU to pump more fuel into the remaining cylinders. This would lead to:
4. Masses of unburnt fuel making it's way into the catalyst, which would:
5. Promptly overheat, possibly even causing a fire, but in any case being damaged in short order.

Another side effect would be loss of power, even more than that explained by losing a cylinder or two, due to the over-rich mixture in the remaining cylinders. Also, fuel consumption would skyrocket, also due to the over-rich mixture.

All this is assuming that the ECU would maintain a closed loop mode. Actually, it probably wouldn't. It would just throw an "O2 sensor reading lean" code, and henceforth ignore it's readings. This would still lead to loss of power and increased fuel consumption, but probably not as badly as otherwise.

Regards,
Kári.
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ECU would probably flip out...it will throw injector control and cylinder misfire codes. It would also throw at least one O2 sensor code...but it might throw multiples: lean, voltage and/or response. All of that would most likely cause the ECU to go into "Limp In" mode. Basically, the ECU ignores sensor data and "guesses" to compensate for a failure. The purpose of which is to allow you to get the car to a mechanic. One major symptom of this is losing third and/or fourth gear on autos.

So essentially: it would run like crap, burn lots of fuel, turn on the check engine light and you would lose high gear.

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
quadna71

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 4:41 am    Post subject: Re: Trying to save gas... Reply with quote

TheBrat97 wrote:
Trying to save gas...

buy a car. i picked up my honda for cash and get 38mpg. 25,XXX later it still runs great!
lakeland713xj

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

6.5" rough county
33x12.50 toyo mts
1fox2go

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

since those cylinders would essentially be dead weight, the engine would make the other cylinders work harder to make up for it. So actually you burn more fuel
berk9

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you would lose so much power in fact your jeep would be retarded. literally. i was at tellico with a friend and he rolled his jeep on school bus. took the sparks out to check em and get the oil out of the heads. 2 or 3 spark plugs got f'd and didnt work. ran so bad that in 4 low first gear he would stall out. in a rubicon. sounded like a dying old popin johny. (old john dear tractor)

try taking out your front drive shaft. fox seemed to think it helped his gas out a lot
1fox2go

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yea picked up a mile or two to the gallon
Brad The Best

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

probably the worst part is the wear you would get on your engine from it running so cold . hopefully its already worn out enough that it wouldn't cold seize or have the head warp .

just drive like a pussy and draft everyone .

its slow but i can drive around with out going over 1500 rpm untill i hit the high way . you just have to go easy on her .
tag

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why is the fuel expensive over there? Confused
'drack
▲▼webwheeler▼▲
▲▼webwheeler▼▲

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See, what I've been doing is turning off the Jeep going down hills to save gas is turning off the Jeep while going down hills. I let it coast then 'til it's about to come to a stop and then crank her over again. Yeah, the steering is a bit hairy 'til I get the power steering back again and it takes me a bit longer to get somewhere, but ya gotta pay to play...........true story flipoff agree .
DavidXJ

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just wanted to congratulate lakeland713xj on his most subtle but entertaining reply. People are looking at me funny for laughing out loud (I refuse to use "LOL"... @#$%!! abbreviations).
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: