Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bumpsteer?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
monkeyman3875

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 1:29 pm    Post subject: Bumpsteer? Reply with quote

I've seen the word everywhere and I have no idea what it means. So could some one please define "bumpsteer" (and tell me if it applies to my next question)?

When going at slow speeds, usually in 4-wheel drive, when I turn the steering wheel all the way one way or the other it feels like the wheels are binding (or at least that's what I think binding feels like). The car begins jerking forward like there's something trying to stop it. It continues to do this until I turn the wheel back toward center at least 1/2 turn. About the only time I notice this is when off-road making slow turns, and I can't remember it ever hapening in 2-wheel.

The most memorable time was about 2 years ago when my family went to the mountains. We were coming down a fairly steep road with dozens of switchbacks and I put the car in 4-lo to help with the descent (along with 1st gear on the tranny). After the shift into 4-lo when the 1st switchback came around and I had the wheel all the way to the right the car felt like it couldn't move anymore until I turned the wheel back some. Needless to say, I immediately got out of 4-wheel drive for fear that I'd broken something (since I was a virgin in the 4x4 world) and let the tranny do a lot of the braking for me the rest of the way down.

So, I have 3 questions (apart from the one at the top):

1. Why does the car feel like it's binding (or whatever) only when the wheel is turned all the way in either direction, and what is causing the binding? Is it the u-joints just before the wheel?

2. Was it a good idea to put the car in 4-lo to aid with the descent?

3. Since it happens so rarely and I don't hear any bad noises (clunk, snap or squeel) should I be concerned when it does happen, or should I just turn the wheel back some and keep going?
-130k Miles (and counting)-> let me know of any preventative maintenance you guys can think of. PM me.
ehirner

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Bumpsteer? Reply with quote

monkeyman3875 wrote:
I've seen the word everywhere and I have no idea what it means. So could some one please define "bumpsteer" (and tell me if it applies to my next question)?

When going at slow speeds, usually in 4-wheel drive, when I turn the steering wheel all the way one way or the other it feels like the wheels are binding (or at least that's what I think binding feels like). The car begins jerking forward like there's something trying to stop it. It continues to do this until I turn the wheel back toward center at least 1/2 turn. About the only time I notice this is when off-road making slow turns, and I can't remember it ever hapening in 2-wheel.

The most memorable time was about 2 years ago when my family went to the mountains. We were coming down a fairly steep road with dozens of switchbacks and I put the car in 4-lo to help with the descent (along with 1st gear on the tranny). After the shift into 4-lo when the 1st switchback came around and I had the wheel all the way to the right the car felt like it couldn't move anymore until I turned the wheel back some. Needless to say, I immediately got out of 4-wheel drive for fear that I'd broken something (since I was a virgin in the 4x4 world) and let the tranny do a lot of the braking for me the rest of the way down.

So, I have 3 questions (apart from the one at the top):

1. Why does the car feel like it's binding (or whatever) only when the wheel is turned all the way in either direction, and what is causing the binding? Is it the u-joints just before the wheel?

2. Was it a good idea to put the car in 4-lo to aid with the descent?

3. Since it happens so rarely and I don't hear any bad noises (clunk, snap or squeel) should I be concerned when it does happen, or should I just turn the wheel back some and keep going?

That's not bumpsteer. It is when you bind up the u-joints. They have a certain range of motion and when you fully turn the wheels under load, you're beyond what's workable. Hence the binding. You should straighten the wheels a bit when this happens you risk blowing a u-joint or your shafts.

The best way I can describe bumpsteer is this is what happens when vertical movement in your front suspension causes the vehicle to steer. It is created by a drag link and trackbar that are not of similar length and parallel.
Charles64

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 5:03 am    Post subject: Binding U-joints Reply with quote

Is there a fix to this binding u-joints. I have an 89 YJ Wrangler with a 4" suspension lift and a 3" body lift, running 33x12.5x15's and have heard and fealt this binding while taking sharp turns in 2 or 4 wheel drive.
badger

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ya don't stick the vehicle in 4 wheel in high traction areas.another words stop engaging 4 wheel drive on the street.

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Charles64

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 10:58 am    Post subject: Badger?!?! Reply with quote

Who said anything about being on hard surfaces. Even though I hear the noise when in 2 wheel drive and on a hard surface, I still hear the noise when in 4 wheel drive on loose sand, but I repeat, only when make sharp turns. Sorry for any confusion on earlier post.
Charles
Orangeamc13
Got Rev Limiter?
Got Rev Limiter?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are your u-joints in good shape? Are they greasable? Maybe they're just shot, if you hear it in 2 wheel!
FARMER

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

something else for you to check Charles64, are your tires rubbing on the control arms, you'll see a shiny spot on them if they are.
berk9

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not trying to be an ass FARMER but he has no control arms, good point though

check your leaf springs

have someone turn the wheel one way as fare as it can go while you check for clearances.

and charles i dont think badger was saying you were in 4 on hard surfaces, check the original post, he was on pavement
FARMER

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're right, I was thinkin' this was an XJ. Embarassed
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Suspension, Steering & Tires All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: