Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Rusty Chassis

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Greateastern

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 7:24 pm    Post subject: Rusty Chassis Reply with quote

I'm new here would like to know if I can get any info on removing the body from my 98 TJ.
I just bought the car and it has only 10,000 original miles on it but it sat and rusted. Now I want to strip the chassis and sandblast the frame. While I am at it I am going to install an Old Man Emu Lift kit and some MT rims and tires. The car is in excellent condition except for the rust.

Are there any online tutorials or article outlining the process of removing the body?

Thanks,
DD
dexetr30

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What your talking about is a "frame off restoration." Here is a link to an article you may want to read first. http://www.autorestorer.com/articles/art115.html

It's not Jeep specific but it will give you an idea of what is involved on doing such a resto.

Just a heads up... it's a Jeep, not a car. Wink
ehirner

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The frames typically do rust, especially in areas with harsh winters and lots of road salt. What you're describing sounds about normal. I think you'll be putting a lot of work into something that isn't going to have that big of a pay off. Just wire brush and coat from the underside....no need to go into body removal to finish this unless you're that bored and want a project.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> TJ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: