Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Custom Track Bar - Death Wobble

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brad S

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 4:40 pm    Post subject: Custom Track Bar - Death Wobble Reply with quote

I installed my lift this weekend (pictures coming soon) and am now facing a death wobble issue. My question is concerning the upper trackbar bracket. I built the bracket myself and am now wondering if it is causing the problem.
Here's some history:
I cut a bracket out of 2x3" tubing with a 3/16" wall. This wall thickness very well could have been my problem. It did not allow a large enough inner diameter to fit the trackbar with bushings and metal spacer.
Here's the bracket:

As mentioned, it was too small inside, so I was forced to cut it since my grinder wouldn't fit inside:

I then welded this bracket onto the stock upper bracket after removing the ball joint:

After some paint and mounting:

SO, my problem being, when I welded the bracket on, there was a small amount of space between the trackbar bushings and the bracket walls. Enough that it could move side to side a bit as seen here:

I assume everything is supposed to be tight, but could this be causing my death wobble? It only occurs when I hit a bump.
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What kind of bolt are you using??

That is exactly what I did with my track bar except I also welded a piece of flat bar to the back of the bracket and up the side of the stock mount..

So mine is basicly only opened on one end.. and I tightened it down with a grade 8 bolt.

I do not have any death wobble so maybe you dont have it tight enough..

Make sure you tighten the crap out of it and then check everything else..
Control arms , other end of the track bar and make sure you check ball joints and wheel bearings..

Let us know what you find..

I just thought of something else.. I am pretty sure I grinded down the spacer so it would fit inside the box tubing which made it fit very tightly..

You may try putting a washer or something in there to tighten it up..It should be very tight ...The more I think about it the more I think the bolt will not compress you bracket you are going to have to fill that space somehow.. I think a washer might work..

Good luck..

Carl

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Brad S

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Due to me being EXTREMELY busy with work and school lately, I still don't have my tires on or an alignment, but I did get around to redoing the bracket this week. I ended up having it re-welded to get the proper spacing and I must say the fit is excellent this time. I took it out for a short drive and noticed that it felt a little 'stiffer' so hopefully all things will be good.

I'm hoping to get my 32s mounted next week. I'm so excited to see how they work out!
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Grand Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: