Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

lift question

View previous topic :: View next topic  
adamzski

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 8:48 pm    Post subject: lift question Reply with quote

hey, i just bought a 3" Explorer Pro Comp lift for my 99 Cherokee XJ. i was wondering if anyone else had this lift, or knew about it. I was wondering if this kit requires a drop pitman arm, or anything else it didnt come with, i already got the rear springs and dumped the add-a-leafs, some people say yes, some people say no, pro comp says nothing, so just wondering if anyone else knew, thanks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Drake69

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://jeep.off-road.com/jeep/article/articleDetail.jsp?id=257823

I did a flat search on Google for drop pitman arms for Cherokees, and it seems that 3" kits don't really need 'em. Since mine didn't come with one standard, I didn't think for that ride height it would be necessary. Drop pitman arms helps bring the drag link back into correct alignment and in line with the track bar. This helps eliminate steering problems you might be having when you install a lift. Since you are starting out stock and going to 3", I'd wait until I had the kit on and let it settle some before throwing out money for things you might not need, at least not right away.

A couple necessities to either fab up or buy outright:

1: Bar Pin Eliminators (for easier shock swapping)
2: Front Swaybar Disconnects (needed for good front-end flex)
3: Bumpstop Plates (needed for protecting the rear from "bottoming out" when flexing)

There are sections on J.Ho here that illustrate how to fab up BPEs and discos, so search the board for them. If you find the pattern, you can also make up the bumpstop plates as well, but I found it easier to get them from DPG Offroad, as they also include added plates for various heights.

And hockey pucks make great front bumpstops as well... rofl

EDIT: if you haven't done already, ditch the rear swaybar. It's easy to get used to when driving (UpCountry packaged XJs don't even have 'em), and it makes a WHOLE lot of difference when flexing. Mr. Green

ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You won't need a drop pitman arm for 3" of lift. As far as bumpstop plates for the rear, they really aren't necessary for 3" of lift. Generally speaking, for every inch of lift, you should add a 1/2 an inch of bumpstop. So you would only need another 1.5". I think the lowest height on the plates adds over 2". You could make your own bumpstop spacers for the front and rear...and spend a whole lot less than you would buying bumpstop plates.

BPE's are nice, they add about an inch to shock length, but they are not necessary. It really depends on whether the shocks that come with the kit have bar pins or not. Also, keep in mind that you will probably break at least one of the upper shock bolts in the rear (unless you use an impact gun and "feather" them out). So be prepared to fix that. Here's a writeup on one method.

I'm not sure if the procomp kit comes with swaybar disconnects. You could fab up your stock ones using cleavis pins to work as disco's, but at 3" of lift that will pull the bar down and cause the bushings to wear out quicker. The cleavis pins need to be replaced regularly too. IMO, it's worth the $100 or so to buy a set of quality disco's for a 3" lift.

It looks like the kit comes with a trackbar relocation bracket. I'm not a big fan of those, but it will work. You can always upgrade to an adjustable trackbar later. You might want to look at replacing the steering stabilizer as well.

The other thing to keep in mind is driveline vibrations...you might have to do a t-case drop...or you might not. It all depends on how the driveline reacts to being lifted. Worst case, you'll need to do an SYE. You won't know until you get the lift installed and drive it.

What tire/wheel combo do you plan to run?

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
adamzski

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i run the stuck 15" steelies and a set of 30" BF Mud Kings. having to do mods to the driveline is something i dont really want to get into, cause of money and its my DD, so i just wanted a fairly simple lift the looks good ive put lifts in before, i just didnt know if anyone has done this one already. I hope to compensate for any anger from the driveline with shims for the rear axle, hopefully i wont run into any more trouble.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you'll be fine. If you develop any vibrations, you should be able to get away with a tcase drop. You can buy one for around $30 or make your own even cheaper. Wink

Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
adamzski

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, so i installed my lift yesterday, and now when i accelerate in 2nd and 3rd between about 15 and 35mph, there is a noise inside, it sounds like an exhaust noise, very low and constant, i dont know what would cause this, as i didnt make any mods to the exhaust. what concerns me more is, in the same powerband at the same speeds there is a vibration no matter how hard or easy i accelerate. the same noise is present when downshifting. i took the jeep on the highway and its manners are fine, no noise or vibration at all. basically what i want to know if there is a chance that the stock ujoints dont like the lift, maybe i can get by with replacing those? but most of all, i would like opinions on how much damage this is or may be doing, because im looking at 500+ miles of highway driving between the next two days. i can live with it if i know it isnt causing me that much damage and not going to leave me stranded somewhere. please post any opinions, any ideas help. thanks.
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First thing I would do is replace the u-joints. That is most likely the source of the vibration and quite possibly the noise as well.

Quote:
adamzski

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats what i thought to too, i was just wondering what the chances are that the problem is the angle of the drive shaft, and not the u joints themselves.? p.s. thanks for the heads up on the rear shock bolts, i lost both of them on the passengers side, so i had to drill em out and put new ones in, drivers side went fine though.
lakeland713xj

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you only lift to 3 icnhs our should have any problems....you can try a transfer case drop which can be

home made (http://jeephorizons.com/tech/tcasedrop.html)

or bought (http://rustysoffroad.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=rustys&Product_Code=RC-TCD1-XJ&Category_Code=SUS_ACC)

6.5" rough county
33x12.50 toyo mts
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: