Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Another 249 - 242 swap question

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JeepersZJ

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 6:23 pm    Post subject: Another 249 - 242 swap question Reply with quote

The more searching and reading I do the more confused I am getting! The swap sounds pretty straight forward but I'd like to know exactly which TC I need to look for???
Mine is a 97 ZJ Limited 4.0 with (I assume) is the NV249 (4hi-n-4lo) full time TC. I'd like to keep it as simple as possible but a input shaft swap is no big deal if need be.
Am I correct to be looking for a 96-98 242 TC from a 4.0 to be a bolt in or from a 96-98 V8 for an input shaft swap???
Any other considerations??
Many thanks for all the great info including the swap tech by Swamp Boy!
Orangeamc13
Got Rev Limiter?
Got Rev Limiter?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The input is swapped because the internal spline count is different on the V8. If you're swapping into an I6 the input should be fine as long as the donor t-case comes out of an I6. 96-98 should be the most compatible to swap in for your year. You should be able to bolt the donor case right up. The 242 gives you the fulltime option, but the 231 is stronger.
JeepersZJ

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for clarifying that for me Orange, I thought is was only the input shaft length. I might already have a line on a 96 TC in R.I. now but am waiting to hear back on the exact TC model and price. Actually he's got two, one V8 & one I6 so even if I have to swap out the input I guess it would be worth it. What is a good price on a used 242? It's not a real pressing swap as my 249's viscous coupling seems ok so far, I just don't like a full time 4x4.Wink I don't really need the extra strength of the 231 and the full time option is nice so the 242's a good choice for me. I wish there was lockouts available for late Dana 30's but thats only a dream I guess! Confused
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Drivetrain All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: