Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ZJ mpg question......

View previous topic :: View next topic  
baja zj

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:11 pm    Post subject: ZJ mpg question...... Reply with quote

'93 ZJ, 4x4, automatic 6cyl at about 170,000 miles, but still very strong.

With the exception of the obvious full tune up (did it), is there anything else maybe a sensor that would leave me with bad MPG?
I have no loss of power, no stuttering/sputtering....nothing out of the ordinary that would lead me to believe that the thing is running 'rough'.
11 around town and 15 on the hwy.
Mind you, I drive like I'm still in my old VW bus.....not in any hurry ( I leave that mindset for the track)

BTW I just bought this and got her running after she's been sitting for about a year. I don't know much of her history so I've been changing all the tipical stuff.

Last edited by baja zj on Wed Nov 07, 2007 7:08 am; edited 1 time in total
OnAll4s

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, and I thought my similar ZJ at the same miles was doing bad for getting 14-15 around town.

Besides the plugs, have the wires been changed lately? Air filter?
baja zj

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup.
I just may have to walk through it again to make sure it was all done right.
..............................not that operator error has ever happened to me before. Neutral
DankNesS

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

5.2 L 318 93 zj.... im gettin roughly 11mpg give or take... if i have a heavy foot its closer to 6-7. gotta love the V8!

oh ya and since i have the MOPAR performance computer it wants 91 octane or better Finger so im paying like 3.30 a gallon right now
RussellRowell

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dank, your getting crappy gas mileage cause you took your catalytic converter off. Trust me, I did the same and noticed gas mileage drop. Put my cat back on and it went back to normal. Plus you got it jacked up with those big tires. I've got 281K on my 318 and average 17-19 mpg. But I do run 93 octane and do keep her tuned up. Everything is almost original too. But my jeep is a road warrior as well.

Baja, your problem could be dirty fuel injectors, wrong gap in your spark plugs, old fuel filter, dirty air filter, transmission torque converter clutch failure, switch to synthetic oil in everything, add a cold air K&N air filter, switch to a turbo muffler. Check your O2 sensor. Timming could be off a little. Try running some sea foam from advance auto through your vaccum line from your brke booster. Just read info on can. Replace ignition coil.

Good luck
NP249 / 5.2 / MB Motoring Rims/ 1500 watts
RussellRowell

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RussellRowell wrote:
Dank, your getting crappy gas mileage cause you took your catalytic converter off. Trust me, I did the same and noticed gas mileage drop. Put my cat back on and it went back to normal. Plus you got it jacked up with those big tires. I've got 281K on my 318 and average 17-19 mpg. But I do run 93 octane and do keep her tuned up. Everything is almost original too. But my jeep is a road warrior as well.

Baja, your problem could be dirty fuel injectors, wrong gap in your spark plugs, old fuel filter, dirty air filter, transmission torque converter clutch failure, switch to synthetic oil in everything, add a cold air K&N air filter, switch to a turbo muffler. Check your O2 sensor. Timming could be off a little. Try running some sea foam from advance auto through your vaccum line from your brke booster. Just read info on can. Replace ignition coil.

Good luck

update today I filled up and drove 101 miles. I filled back up this evening and it took 4.198 gal. Divide 101 by 4.198 = 24 mpg WOW
I drove like gran ma today. Drove the speed limit. Didn't take off fast. It truly makes a difference. Oddly though, my reading on the overhaed console stayed at 17.7 mpg. I'll run this tank empty and see what my mpg is.
NP249 / 5.2 / MB Motoring Rims/ 1500 watts
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Grand Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: